1983 Montauk 17 Bottom Paint

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jmpen

1983 Montauk 17 Bottom Paint

Postby jmpen » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:04 pm

Hello all. I am new to the forum.

I recently purchased 1983 Montauk 17 in great condition. It has only ever been used in fresh water up to now, but I will be using it in saltwater, in Puget Sound, Washington. There is currently no paint on the hull. I am trying to decide if I should paint it before I start using it this summer.

The boat may sit on a buoy for as long as one week at a time. I know this topic has been taken up on this forum in the past, but a long time ago. If there is a recent discussion I have overlooked, I'd be happy to be pointed in the right direction so as not to waste everyone's time. Thanks for any input.

jimh

Re: 1983 Montauk 17 Bottom Paint

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:10 am

The owner's manual has advice on use of bottom paint. If you do not have a copy of the owner's manual, I have reproduced the owner's manual as an on-ine HTML document.

Boston Whaler Owner's Manual for 9 to 17-foot Hulls
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/

The advice on use of bottom paint is given at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual9-17/

jmpen wrote:...this topic has been taken up on this forum in the past, but a long time ago.
Regarding following advice about use of bottom paint on Boston Whaler boat hulls that has been offered previously, I don't think there has been any change in the nature a 1983 hull or in the nature of seawater in the recent past.

My own boat has no bottom paint, that is, no epoxy hull protection paint and no anti-fouling paint. The boat generally sits on a trailer, but it has been used many, many times for a duration of a week or more in the water, then hauled out an put back on its trailer.

The nature of the water will have an influence of the rate of growth of marine organisms on the hull bottom. We had the boat in the cold saltwater of the Pacific Ocean for two weeks cruising north from Oconnor, Washington for several hundred miles through the Strait of Georgia to Alert Bay. Upon return to Oconnor and hauling out, there was no sign of marine growth on the hull.

In contrast, we had the boat in the warm saltwater of the Gulf of Mexico for about five days, and upon hauling out we found the hull bottom already had incipient marine growth that required very vigorous scrubbing to remove.

My boat has also been in clear, cool, freshwater of the Great Lakes for periods of up to two weeks, and there has been no evidence of hull damage, marine growth, or staining. When used in the Rideau Canal for a week, there was evidence of hull stains, but the stain was easily removed with a washing with a diluted application of MARYKATE Hull and Bottom Cleaner liquid.

Were I contemplating use in Puget Sound, I would get advice from locals about the rate of marine growth, then decide if the planned use of the boat required the application of an epoxy sealant and anti-fouling paint for the occasion one-week duration of sitting on a mooring.

If the anti-fouling paint is not required, then for the epoxy sealing coat I would use a tinted epoxy paint that was a close match to the hull color. You can find advice on paint of that color in the website archives. Read more at

Custom Mixed Desert Tan Bottom Paint
https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/014187.html

Also based on my experience, if the hull sits motionless in saltwater known for rapid marine growth, there will likely be more chance for marine growth than if the boat is underway at speed for much of the time it is in the water.

Because of the difficulty in removing properly applied bottom paints, their use is almost an irreversible decision. I wouldn't apply the recommended epoxy sealing paint and topcoats of anti-fouling paint unless I was certain I was going to leave the boat sitting still while moored in saltwater known to have rapid marine growth as the usual and continual pattern of use of the boat.

jmpen

Postby jmpen » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:06 am

Thanks. Your reply is helpful.

PeterO

Postby PeterO » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:06 pm

jmpen--In 2018 I purchased a new 21 Guardian' I keep the boat in the water year-round on Quadra Island near Campbell River. I launched the new boat in mid March 2019 and, due to scheduling mix-ups and delays, the bottom coat could not be applied until early July 2019. Although the new hull was waxed at the factory, it started to foul with algal growth as soon as the days got longer in April-May. By June, much to my chagrin, the new boat hull looked like a kelp forest, and barnacles were starting to establish. Fortunately, I was able to get it hauled in early July and the commercial power washer at the lift was able to clean the hull (a few more weeks and there would have probably been mature barnacles that would have required sanding).

The new hull was de-waxed and hoarded. Two coats of Intra-Protect barrier protection were applied, followed by two coats of Micron CSC. That protection was supposed to last two years, but by spring 2021 the ablative coat was exhausted. Algal growth began on the hull; two more coats of Micron CSC were applied.

My plan going forward is to apply one coat of Micron CSC annually. Once hoarded and a barrier coat applied, applying a renewal coat of Micron CSC is not a big deal. I did not notice any depreciable change in speed or performance after the bottom was painted, but it was a new boat and the hull began to foul shortly after I launched it.

If you're leaving the boat in the water for a few weeks, I'd be inclined not to bottom paint if you are willing to pressure wash after pulling it out. You might consider waxing the hull to slow algal growth and facilitate removal of algal growth by pressure-washing. If you're leaving it in the water for much more than a month during spring/summer, I'd be inclined to apply a barrier coat and anti-fouling paint.

Cheers,
Peter O.

jmpen

Postby jmpen » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:09 pm

Thank you for this reply, Peter. I forgot to check back to the post in the last few weeks. This is super helpful information. I think I am going to paint it. I am less concerned with resale than I am with using the boat. I don't mind the look of bottom paint. Thanks.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:48 am

PeterO wrote:The new hull was de-waxed and hoarded. ....Once hoarded and a barrier coat applied...
I don't understand the meaning of the verb "hoarded" as used above. Can someone explain this unusual maritime term?

Jloutrage

Postby Jloutrage » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:37 am

I have a 1996 17 OUTRAGE ll boat. In 2000, 22-years ago, I barrier-coated [the hull bottom], and I applied Micron CSC [anti-fouling paint]. The boat sits in fresh water from April to October every year. When pulling out for the winter, what little bottom growth is easily removed with my power washer. I touch up spots in the spring with CSC. I repaint the bottom about every four years. I put 75-hours underway on the boat each summer.

I recommend applying a barrier coat to the hull bottom and use of an ablative [anti-fouling] paint like CSC.

PeterO

Postby PeterO » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:09 pm

Jim--I may have used the term "hoarding" inappropriately. I had the work done at a boatyard, and the invoice indicated they "hoarded" and "sanded" the hull prior to applying the barrier coat. I believe hoarding indicates the hull was sealed up and perhaps a ventilation and recovery system installed to collect the dust generated from sanding.
Peter O.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:21 pm

Jloutrage wrote:I recommend applying a barrier coat to the hull bottom and use of an ablative [anti-fouling] paint like CSC.
As does Boston Whaler in their owner's manual for any hull left in the water for "more than a few days."

Jloutrage

Postby Jloutrage » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:45 pm

I used interlux interprotect 2000e as the barrier coat. I applied 5 coats. The application instructions are quite specific in terms of time between coats, air temperature, and what kind of bottom paint that will be applied over the barrier coat. If done correctly, the barrier coat will last many years. Mine has been on 23 years with no problems.