OUTRAGE 22: Converting to 122 gallon Fuel Capacity

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Keely

OUTRAGE 22: Converting to 122 gallon Fuel Capacity

Postby Keely » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:46 am

Q1: can an OUTRAGE 22 be converted to 122-gallon fuel capacity from the standard 77-gallon capacity without much trouble?

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 22: Converting to 122 gallon Fuel Capacity

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:42 am

I don't think this modification can be accomplished while meeting your criterion of "without much trouble."

The larger fuel tank option eliminated the aft cockpit live well. To accomplish this now would required a new fuel tank, cutting out a portion of the hull liner, and creating a new deck cover plate. That certainly is not in the category of "without much trouble."

If there was an absolute need for greater fuel capacity, installation of a second semi-permanent fuel tank on deck would be much simpler.

ASIDE: What motivates this change? Modern outboard engines consume fuel at a rate of about half compared to the outboard engines used when the OUTRAGE 22 was initially designed. As a result, the fuel endurance of the 77-gallon tank is effectively double what it was back in the 1980's. With a modern engine a cruising fuel economy of 3-MPG is possible, so 70-gallons consumption, leaving 7-gallons in reserve, means a range of over 200-miles. For a 22-foot boat at 25-MPH, that is eight hours of running.

Keely

Postby Keely » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:50 pm

I agree with jimh's comments on the reduced fuel consumption of a four-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines.

I still may want to add fuel capacity for weekend trips Catalina Island or for long albacore fishing trip.

I think a small [on deck fuel] tank in the aft [fish] well wil [add sufficient fuel capacity].

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:42 pm

If you feel that you need that much fuel I'm sure it can be done.

The bulkhead between the fuel tank cavity and the rear fish box will have to be cut out. The cut out area will need reinforcement with fiberglass.

Figures 1, 2, and 3 shown my 1980 Revenge 22 without the foam around the tank being replaced. Your hull liner should be the same as the Revenge 22. A 122-gallon fuel tank will be extremely heavy when full so I believe you will want to reinstall the foam around a 122-gallon new tank for added strength.

Whaler Pic fuel tank and bait tank cavity empty shot from bow side.jpg
Fig. 1. Fuel tank cavity empty.
Whaler Pic fuel tank and bait tank cavity empty shot from bow side.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Keely wrote:I think a small [on deck fuel] tank in the aft [fish] well wil [add sufficient fuel capacity].
The hoses for fill and vent could be routed through the stern sump cover.