McKanica--For removing silicon sealant

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
LCnSac

McKanica--For removing silicon sealant

Postby LCnSac » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:59 am

NOTHING worked to remove silicon sealant. Years ago Jimh posted the only thing that worked was the human fingernail. I tried everything, then came across a gel called McKanica Silicon Caulk Remover Gel. It's available through Ace Hardware--could not find it anyplace else. $10 online; I paid $13 at the store and would have paid double after using it.

To remove really bad globs of silicon sealant can take a few applications. I have [silicon sealant] all over my non-skid in my just-purchased used 150 Sport. Three treatments got all of it off. The McKanica must burn the silicon as it turns brown or black, then you scrape it with a flexible putty knife after a three hour setup. The former owners apparently applied [the silicon sealant] over a dirty deck, so I'm left with black non-skid in some cases. Maguires non-skid and deck cleaner takes care of that.

LCnSac

Re: McKanica--For removing silicon sealant

Postby LCnSac » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:11 pm

After about 15 hours of silicone sealant removal, I've found a procedure that seems to work the best:

1. McKanica does not penetrate deeply, so I found using a razor blade, carefully scraping the silicone first will safely remove all but the final adhesive layer. A plastic scraper does not work for this use. Just be careful not to scrape the gelcoat.

2. Scrubbing with lacquer thinner seems to soften it up.

3. Apply McKanica liberally, using a plastic scraper to spread and trowel the gel over the subject area. Foam brushes are dissolved by McKanica.

4. Let it work for at least 3 hours, overnight is OK.

5. Using a plastic scraper, remove what you can. Repeat applications may be necessary. In my case I needed 2-4 treatments for every glob.

Deck cleaner containing mild acid may clean up the small bits that McKanica does not reach. In the case of non-skid where most of my silicone is/was, I found the final step often is just rubbing my finger over the spot, rolling it out, flake by flake. This is more effective with 4200 removal after soaking in lacquer thinner, but it can work with silicone.