2008 130 SPORT: Mounting Aftermarket Bimini Top

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
MICHIGAN130

2008 130 SPORT: Mounting Aftermarket Bimini Top

Postby MICHIGAN130 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:04 pm

For three months I have been pondering where and how install an aftermarket Bimini top on my 2008 130 SPORT, and I am stumped. I have looked at many pictures of other boats, but their situation doesn't seem to work with the 130 SPORT.

Q1: Do I mount [the hinges for the Bimini top frame] on the side rails?

Q2: Or, [are the hinges mounted to the] hull?

I prefer the rail-mounted hinges, but when the Bimini top is folded down, I don't see how it will be supported.

If [the hinges are mounted to the gunwales] the throttle hump is in the way.

Q3: should the top fold down to forward or aft?

You can see several illustrations of the fit problem at https://imgur.com/a/DQIuO0U. [Scroll down to see multiple views.]

I bought a Westland Sunbrella Bimini top for $600 sunbrella and two rail-clamp hinges to try.

top.jpg
Fig. 1. A Westland three-bow Bimini Top with dimensions in inches of 46 H x 72 L x 61 to 66 W.
top.jpg (6.26 KiB) Viewed 473 times

BACKSTORY: In the Fall of 2021 I bought a 2008 130 SPORT Anniversary Edition boat. I have not even had it on the water yet. I have been servicing and cleaning it up all winter. In installed new fuel lines, new oils, new filters, and seats, etc.

jimh

Re: 2008 130 Sport: Mounting Aftermarket Bimini Top

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:30 am

I am not clear on what part of the boat is what you describe as "the throttle hump." I think you are talking about a slightly raised section on the starboard gunwale where the remote shift and throttle controls are mounted, and this raised section is not mirrored on the port side. That raised area looks like a good mounting spot. If the support tube is too long, then remove the plastic fitting for the hinge, cut down the support tube by an inch or two, and reinstall the hinge on the tube. You could also use that approach to equalize the difference in the mounting height on the gunwale between port and starboard side. Also, consider replacing the plastic hinges with metal hinges. The metal hinge will be more durable in the long term.

If the Bimini top when folded does not fit well, a possible solution will be to replace the aft nylon strap with a fixed support tube, allowing the top to be folded and stored in an upright position. The drawback to that is the vertical clearance of the boat is fixed, and also you have to trailer the boat with the top stowed upright.

Fixing the hinges to the railing may be more useful. To support the top when folded down to the aft you could create some supports to hold up the frame so it does not bind or try to lay on the side rails. These could be as simple as a length of 2x4 lumber that is held to the rails with a Velcro strap and rests on the deck.

MICHIGAN130 wrote:Q3: should the top fold down to forward or aft?
I think folding the top to the stern is probably the most useful. If the top is folded toward the bow then it will interfere with seating in the bow and getting to the bow.

If Boston Whaler offered a Bimini top as an option, their method of mounting the hinges would be good guidance.

I also bought and installed an aftermarket Bimini top on my SPORT 15. It was a close fit all-round. I described the process in an article at

https://continuouswave.com/maintenance-logs/bimini/

The top was mounted to the gunwales, but special hinges with a sloped base were needed; the top folded aft and just cleared the side rails.