Replacement Wood for 1986 SUPER SPORT 13

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
GlennGlenn

Replacement Wood for 1986 SUPER SPORT 13

Postby GlennGlenn » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:05 am

[Inferred question:]
What a retail source for wood to replace the wood in the cockpit of a 1986 SUPER SPORT 13?

BACKSTORY. [I am the] original owner of 1986 Super Sport 13. Over the years the wood [in the cockpit] has been refinished, but now needs replacement.

[Give me advice about buying] a complete pre-finished package for replacing all wood behind the seat and bow hatch?

[Give me advice about products from] Specialty [Marine].

[Give me advice about products from] anyone else.

[Please start a separate thread for your entirely different question on an entirely different topic; I have removed that inquiry from this thread about sources of wood--Moderator]

dtmackey

Re: Replacement Wood for 1986 SUPER SPORT 13

Postby dtmackey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:13 pm

I would stay far away from Specialty Marine. Over the years they have used laminates and woods that were close to mahogany, but not real mahogany. The finish they use is of low quality and doesn't last. I've replaced several Specialty Marine interiors that failed after several years of use. The glued seams split and the wood was falling apart.

If you are looking for a high quality interior I visited a shop in Haverhill Massachusetts that does very high quality interiors with teak or mahogany and the work is second to none. I have no affiliation, but believe people who make a high quality product deserves the recognition.

Here's a write up I did on him a while back:

The question of replacement Whaler interiors and level of quality seems to come up quite a bit by those looking to restore their Whaler to its former glory or by those expressing displeasure from substandard quality interiors purchased from a West Coast company.

The name Bob Latourallle comes up quite a bit and I think Jeff also has him in the information section of EBW. I’ve seen Bob’s name pop up in various other places over the years and always wanted to meet him. Last week I reached out to Bob and set a time to swing by his shop. I was pleasantly surprised that his shop is local and I probably drive within several miles of his place 75-times per year or more.

After meeting Bob and checking out his workshop, I highly recommend him if you are considering a new interior or replacing various piece on your Whaler or other boat. Bob’s been restoring boats and interiors for longer than most people have been boating. His shop uses quality precision tools with plenty of room and his work is first class from the material of your choice. His go-to for Whaler interiors is solid Sipo Mahogany, due to its consistent grain pattern, quality and strength, but he will use Teak or another wood of your choice if requested. After seeing his work in person, the wood is solid with care taken to layup boards so warping and cupping isn’t a problem. His woodwork joints are tight and consistent with the level of quality one would expect for a Whaler.

His supplier is a local importer of exotic woods that only works with certified sustainable mills and they process 20,000 board feet daily and do not sell retail.

If you are interested in a new Whaler interior or replacement pieces for another boat, feel free to give him a call. He prefers calls or text (978)-837-8808

I am not affiliated with him and heard a lot about him over the years and when I realized he was an hour away, I took the time to visit and meet him He's a super friendly guy that takes pride in his work. He's made hundreds of interiors for owners looking for Whaler quality.

Bob does not apply a finish, but the kit comes ready to finish in your choice of varnish.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:47 am

In the past 20 years or so, there have been a number of artisans that opened small shops with a focus toward selling wooden replacement parts for classic-era Boston Whaler boats. This sort of endeavor is, apparently, a tough way to make a living, as literally every one of those small shops eventually ceased their work in making replacement Boston Whaler wood replacement parts. Compare at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... .html#wood

As a general rule, hiring artisans to create bespoke wooden products can require considerable patience and considerable money.

A very good friend of mine who had a long career in custom carpentry used to have a sign on the shop door that said:

GOOD--CHEAP--FAST
    Pick Two

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:45 pm

jimh wrote:As a general rule, hiring artisans to create bespoke wooden products can require considerable patience and considerable money.

A very good friend of mine who had a long career in custom carpentry used to have a sign on the shop door that said:

GOOD--CHEAP--FAST
    Pick Two

That is very true Jim. Bob is a retired project manager that has always loved working on boats when it comes to wood work and now is able to enjoy his time working in his shop. This keeps him busy and he has a backlog of work since he comes recommended by many in the Whaler community.

D-