Outboard Restoration Pics

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
dtmackey

Outboard Restoration Pics

Postby dtmackey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:09 pm

I've been watching with interest and adding content to the lower unit rebuild of Oldslowandugly and also had others message me with questions, so I figured I'd share some of my current projects.

Yamaha 90 - doing this as a favor to a Chrisian kids camp in Maine. They ran bad fuel and blew a piston on a 3 year old dealer installed factory powerhead. The poor fuel quality caused the engine to knock badly over time and it cause piston failure and the rings got caught on the exaust port. FUEL QUALITY IS VERY IMPORTANT. This is a quick bore and rebuild and should be done in a couple evenings. Also doing lower unit seals and installing a stainless steel tilt tube.

1985 Yamaha 4hp for my brother-in-law's dingy. This was a paint, decal and misc items job.

Here is an old Tohatsu that was a paint, decal and misc repair project.

Quick cowl paint and decal. The motor was also converted from a 60hp to a 70hp.

1994 Yamaha 25 full rebuild and cosmetics. The 2 Yami 15s in the background were previously done for friends, but I store them.

Another Yami 25 that's done. This was cosmetics and misc items.

This is my hobby and I'd rather spend time working on these then hanging around in a bar or sitting on the couch watching TV. I stick with Yamaha since they are great notors with smart designs. The nice thing is 2 stroke motors are incrediably simple to work on and parts are very inexpensive. Demand for clean Yamaha 2-stroke motors in my area is very high.

I've done a lot of larger motors (150 - 250hp), but find them more challenging due to the size and weight and I can get as much for a rebuilt 90 as a 150, so the extra hassle isn't worth it and the margins are better in the smaller motors, so my focus is 4hp-90hp.

My plan is to taper off for the next 6 months since I have other projects, but if I see a good deal I'll grab it.

D-

frontier

Re: Outboard Restoration Pics

Postby frontier » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:56 pm

WOW. Very nice work.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:15 am

Very impressive. Extraordinary results.
Butch

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:29 am

Amazing job on the cosmetics. I know how much hard work goes into the internals but all people see in the paint job.
Last edited by Oldslowandugly on Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:03 pm

What is your secret to the incredible paint gloss? I paint a lot and can't achieve gloss anywhere near what you did.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Oldslowandugly wrote:What is your secret to the incredible paint gloss? I paint a lot and can't achieve gloss anywhere near what you did.

If there is good paint on the motor already, I sand with 180 and then 320 and spray Nason single stage urethane. It's easy to spray and lays down nice with a even spread of the metallic.

If the old paint is worn away, then I:
- sandblast the motor
- spray with etch primer
- Spray with epoxy primer
- Spray with Nason urethane top coat

Between the paints, I hit with a scuff pad and grease removal is of the utmost importance.

D-

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:20 pm

That is very impressive for a single stage paint. Even basecoat/clearcoat is hard pressed to achieve that kind of finish.