Repair Shop to install Brass Hull Drain Boston Area

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pufferfish

Repair Shop to install Brass Hull Drain Boston Area

Postby pufferfish » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:07 pm

My 1980 SPORT 13 needs a new stern drain tube installed. I pulled out the drain in Fall 2021 because the drain was leaking, and I wanted to let that area dry all winter.

I am located in Salem, New Hampshire. Give me a recommendation for a marina or shop located in the Boston or southern New Hampshire area area that can install a new drain plug. Thanks--Fitz

Phil T

Re: Repair Shop to install Brass Hull Drain Boston Area

Postby Phil T » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:21 pm

Do you have basic do-it-yourself skill?

We can walk you through the repair and give pointers to supplies.

If not, see if York Harbor Marine can squeeze you in.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:35 pm

I'm local and would offer to do it if it wasn't a 13-footer. I've done enough of those, and the transom angle is a real pain to get it right with a flat on the inside and angle on the outside. Other Boston Whaler models are simple, but I have always struggled on the 13-foot hull to get it perfect.

I'm convinced there's no such thing as a true seal on one that's been replaced unless if involved lots of 3M4200 sealant.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:37 am

Advice on how to replace brass through-hull drains is given in the Frequently Asked Questions section. See

Q12: How Are Drain Tubes Replaced?
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q12

NAUSET Marine should have plenty of experience in this work. They are one of the original Boston Whaler dealers, going back perhaps 60-years. For more information visit their website:

https://www.nausetmarine.com/

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:12 am

dtmackey wrote:I'm convinced there's no such thing as a true seal on one that's been replaced unless if involved lots of 3M4200 sealant.
After repairing the transom with the Marine Tex I used the 3M 5200 to seal the tubes in place.

ASIDE: I was watching my outboard guy do a Boston Whaler boat drain tube. Even though he had the flaring tool he was complaining loudly. He was particularly critical of the fact that brass in salt water didn't last long. For what he had to charge the customers they expected it to last forever.

I asked why not use stainless steel and he said it did not flare well.

My own transom was chewed up all around the drain so some Marine Tex was going to be needed anyway.

I decided to use one inch diameter stainless steel boat railing for the drains. The drain plug fit it perfectly and the stainless would outlast anything. I did not try to flare them but rather trimmed the tubes flush with the transom. After almost 20 years they are showing no signs of deterioration at all.

Sg5054

Postby Sg5054 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:31 am

If you want to make the brass drain tube problem go away permanently, get a length of 3/4-ID fiberglass tubing from McMaster Carr. Using a hole saw, drill out both ends to the tube OD. Fit it as needed and glass it in. Problem solved permanently.

I’ve done this to five Boston Whaler boats I have owned.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:30 pm

Oldslowandugly wrote:After repairing the transom with the Marine Tex I used the 3M 5200 to seal the tubes in place.

ASIDE: I was watching my outboard guy do a Boston Whaler boat drain tube. Even though he had the flaring tool he was complaining loudly....

My own transom was chewed up all around the drain so some Marine Tex was going to be needed anyway...

The 13-footer classic hulls are the worst to do a drain tube replacement since the outer transom skin is at an angle and not perpendicular to the drain tube, making a tight bond with the o-ring seating as it did when the factory built the boat difficult. And as you mentioned, with any nicks or damage to the fiberglass in that area and all bets are off it will seal and keep water out.

D-