1986 OUTRAGE 20 Wood Locating Diagram

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
bmcgovern

1986 OUTRAGE 20 Wood Locating Diagram

Postby bmcgovern » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:01 am

Where can I find a drawing for a 1986 Outrage 20 that shows the embedded wood reinforcement in the transom?

BACKSTORY: I want to install a simple teak [swim] platform on the transom, with a telescoping ladder. A single stainless rail will come down the outboard edge from the rub rail.

[Moderator's Note: the topic of mounting the swim platform has been separated into its own thread.]

jimh

Re: 1986 OUTRAGE 20 Wood Locating Diagram

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:17 am

For several decades the Boston Whaler company was emailing at no charge the wood locating diagram for just about any boat they made to customers that inquired about them. I don't know if they still do this.

At the moment, the only drawings available from CONTINUOUSWAVE are listed at

Drawings of Boston Whaler Components Available Online
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/drawings.html

If Boston Whaler has stopped mailing wood locating diagrams, I can easily expand the archive here. Just email me a diagram and I will append it to the archive listed above. [Update: thank you, PHIL, for sending the OUTRAGE 20 wood locating diagram. It is now uploaded and available from the REFERENCE section drawing page mentioned above.]

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 am

The wood locating diagram for the Outrage 20 [is now available in the REFERENCE section--see links below].

[Moderator's note: a wood locating drawing for the OUTRAGE 20- hull is listed and available for download at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... wings.html

Here is a direct link to the drawing:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/20Outrage/graphics/Outrage20WoodLocating.jpg]
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

bmcgovern

Postby bmcgovern » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks for the quick advice and diagrams. There looks to be plywood the length of the transom--I hope the plywood is still secure.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 am

bmcgovern wrote:There looks to be plywood the length of the transom....
You need to more carefully check the wood locating diagram. The transom contains wood reinforcement only in the center section where an outboard engine would be mounted. This is clearly shown in the wood locating diagram. Phil's recommendation to use through-bolting for the upper mounting bolts of the ladder and platform are cognisant of the lack of embedded wood in the outer transom area. Inboard end of the through-bolts will probably benefit from a back plate.