Mounting Swim Platform on OUTRAGE 20 Transom

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
bmcgovern

Mounting Swim Platform on OUTRAGE 20 Transom

Postby bmcgovern » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:47 am

I'm looking for proven ways that others have solved [the problem of mounting a swim platform to the transom of an 1986 OUTRAGE 20 boat].

[I have seen a small swim platform and boarding ladder] mounted to Boston Whaler transom using a heavy metal bracket on the inside edge, closer to where the engine is mounted, and the handrail mounted on the outside edge. This should increase the hances of securing [fasteners] into wood in the center section. I am hunting for the right marine-grade metal bracket.

[The swim platform I want to install is] a pre-made platform, but I don't know the manufacturer.

The hardware provided is not designed for [a 1986 OUTRAGE 20] boat in particular.

[Separated from a discussion on where embedded wood is located in the OUTRAGE 20 transom.]

jimh

Re: Mounting Swim Platform on OUTRAGE 20 Transom

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:15 pm

Fig. 1. A small teak swim platform and boarding ladder are mounted to the transom of a classic OUTRAGE 22.

Fig. 2. Another boat with a small swim platform and boarding ladder mounted on the Port side of the transom. The diagonal brace under the platform is partially visible.

[From a REFERENCE article on Trim Tab mounting.]

Figure 1 above shows a typical mounting method for a small teak swim platform and a boarding ladder on the transom of an OUTRAGE 22. The transom on an OUTRAGE 20 should be very similar.

The inboard side of the swim platform can fasten to the reinforced transom. The outboard of the platform will probably need through-bolting and a backing plate. The laminated Unibond Hull is quite thick at that location, so a rather long fastener will be needed for through bolting.

The asymmetrical design of the swim platform, with one support going under the platform and the other support going above the platform, seems almost like it was designed for the Boston Whaler transom. Also, the asymmetrical design requires that the ladder be mounted on the Port side of the transom.

Phil T

Re: Mounting Swim Platform on OUTRAGE 20 Transom

Postby Phil T » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:17 pm

With most convention swim platforms with ladders, the platform is installed using stainless steel through bolts above the water line and galvanized lag screws below. Remember to use marine sealant, not adhesive.

It is recommended you install the ladder as high above the waterline as practical.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003