1999 17 OUTRAGE II Fuel Hose Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Thetacker

1999 17 OUTRAGE II Fuel Hose Replacement

Postby Thetacker » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:24 pm

I own a 1999 17' Outrage II, a boat which has a large under-deck fuel tank with a fuel hose running aft to the starboard aft hatch, then to the transom engine splash well, and then to the outboard engine. Under the aft starboard hatch covering a well, a primer bulb in inserted into the fuel hose.

The fuel hose from primer bulb to the engine is cracked, and leaks fuel, probably due to its age. To replace this segment of fuel hose will be simple.

If one segment of the fuel hose has failed, the long under-deck segment of the fuel hose may be susceptible to failure

Q1: will installation of a new segment of fuel hose from the below-deck tank on c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II to the stern be difficult?

I am not clear about the path of this hose or what obstructions there maybe. I don't want to find out that things get snagged part way, leaving me with neither the old fuel line or new one attached.

To someone who has replaced the fuel line from the below deck fuel tank on a c.1999 17 OUTRAGE II or on a similar model Boston Whaler boat: give me some instructions and warn me of cautions to be observed.

Thanks.

jimh

Re: 1999 17 OUTRAGE II Fuel Hose Replacement

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:58 am

Not being familiar with the deck layout on the 17 OUTRAGE II:

Q2: on the 1999 17 OUTRAGE II boat are there pry-out circular deck access plates that reveal the fuel tank to fuel hose connections?

Typically a rubber fuel hose from a below-deck fuel tank must be accordance with USCG specifications for type A1 hose. The fuel hose above deck, such as would be used to connect to the outboard engine, is usually in accordance with USCG specifications for type B1 hose.

Assuming the below-deck fuel hose is the 1999 original hose, your concern for that 23-year-old rubber hose is valid. However, the hose segment that developed a leak on your boat was subject to movement and exposure to sun and weather. Below deck fuel hose is stationary and gets no sunlight exposure. Whether or not that segment has an incipient failure is difficult to know with certainty.

The general arrangement of below-deck rubber fuel hoses on Boston Whaler boat is for them to lay atop the fuel tank, and when then routed through rigging tunnels to lay in the tunnel. If the fuel hose has to be held in place while crossing a span, a metal clamp with rubber cushions would be used to support the fuel hose, but the clamp would be sized to not bear against the hose. That may allow the hose to be pulled out of the clamp opening for replacement.

Jloutrage

Postby Jloutrage » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:18 am

I have a 1996 17 Outrage ll. I performed this exact fuel hose replacement (from the below deck fuel tank to the starboard stern). It is not a particularly difficult job.

The fuel hose runs from the stern ,through the rigging tunnel, under the deck, on the starboard side of the boat. The rigging tunnel runs forward from the stern to the bow side of the console. If you look inside the console you can see all the cables (steering, throttle, shift, etc.) come up into the console from this rigging tunnel. The fuel hose runs from the stern forward to this point, then turns back toward the stern and attaches to the under deck fuel tank.

I attached the new hose to the old hose at the stern using a brass union with hose barbs, and hose clamps on each side of the union. I disconnected the hose at the tank and pulled the old hose out from the tank end, and the new hose followed it through the rigging tunnel and out to the tank. The old and new hose did not get hung up on anything in the rigging tunnel. I bought 17-feet of hose, which gave me about two-feet extra.

I recommend replacing the fuel filler hose and fuel tank vent hose. This work is straightforward. Just remove the old and replace with new. No need to use the old hose to pull through the new hose.

Jloutrage

Postby Jloutrage » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:53 am

If you search in repairs and modifications using “1998 outrage 17 fuel leak” you will find a post with pictures of the fuel tank cavity, fuel tank, fuel lines, and the access hole that the fuel line comes out of when it exits the rigging tunnel and turns back toward the tank. These pictures are great to show what things look like under the deck.

Jloutrage

Postby Jloutrage » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:03 am

There is another post from 2020 that talks about this project. The user name is NLA2 ( which is me). I started the post prior to me doing the job. As I reread my update, I did indeed purchase 17 ft of hose, but the old hose was only 13.5 ft long, so I guess I purchased a little too much. I recommend that you review this thread.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am

Make sure you use marine alcohol resistant fuel hose. No gray or blue colored.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003