1969 16-footer Paint or Gel Coat

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Keyaskom

1969 16-footer Paint or Gel Coat

Postby Keyaskom » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:54 pm

After looking at photos of other Boston Whaler boats, I am realizing that [a 1969 16-footer I may buy] doesn’t have gel coat. When I viewed the boat in person, the [cockpit finish] seems dull and matte.

Is a [dull and matte finish to the cockpit of a restored 1969 16-footer] a problem [to be repaired]?

Phil T

Re: 1969 16-footer Paint or Gel Coat

Postby Phil T » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:04 pm

If [the refurbisher] has not painted [the cockpit deck], [the surface of the cockpit deck] could be the original gelcoat.

Note that gel coat over time can get dull and turn white and chalky due to oxidation. The shine can be restored by buffing the gel coat with fiberglass compound on a wool bonnet.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Keyaskom

Re:1969 16-footer Paint or Gel Coat

Postby Keyaskom » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:10 pm

That is how [the deck surface of the cockpit] felt: almost chalky. And the deck showed shoe footprints right away.

Can using a boat in saltwater with [chalking and soft] gel coat cause problems?

Will I need to buff and restore [the chalking and soft gel coat] right away?

Is [soft and chalking gelcoat just a] cosmetic [problem]?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:20 pm

With a close visual inspection, it should not be too hard to determine if the top coat finish on the area under discussion is paint or gel coat.

Why don't you contact the seller and ask what material was used on the cockpit deck surface?

A dull or matte finish to the cockpit deck may be intentional so that the deck surface provides better traction when wet.

Note that if the boat is truly a 1969 hull, the original gel coat color for the cockpit deck would be blue. If the cockpit is some other color, the top surface is unlikely to be the original gel coat resin from when the boat was first molded.

ASIDE: You will need to decide if you want to buy this boat or not. You are the only person in these discussions who has seen the boat. You are in the best position to establish if the boat is suitable for you, if the price is right, and if there are hidden flaws. Looking at low-resolution images is not a method to determine the material used for the top coat finish on the deck.

Are you trying to talk yourself out of buying the boat?

Keyaskom

Postby Keyaskom » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:59 am

[I am not] trying to talk myself out of buying the boat. I am trying to make an educated decision [whether to buy the boat or not]. I have never owned any boat. I am looking for all the information I can get so I can understand what I am getting into.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:08 pm

I will restate my earlier unanswered question into a recommendation:

If you have confusion about what the top coat material is on a boat you are thinking of buying and cannot yourself determine if the material is paint of gel coat, you should ask the seller--who I infer is also the person you performed the repairs and modifications on the boat in question--to identify the material that was used.

We are discussing a 1969 boat---a 53-year-old boat. There is a good chance the boat has had significant refurbishment. The best source of information about what was done will come from whomever did the work.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:10 pm

Keyaskom wrote: I am looking for all the information I can get...
The website has collected extensive information about Boston Whaler boats. You can read all about Boston Whaler boat at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:13 pm

If you have never owned a boat before then an old Whaler is an easy way to get started. A good motor, a portable gas tank, and off you go. With Whalers, old does not mean cheap. They were meant to last a long time and the prices reflect that. But the unsinkable nature of a Whaler is best reason for owning one. That said, any old boat is going to be a lot of work to get ship-shape. As mentioned above, if the gel coat is sound then it can be cleaned, sanded, buffed, and made to look very nice. But if it is shot then you will be forced to paint it. To many that would be a deal-breaker. Once painted, it must be maintained and re-painted as conditions require. However, a well executed paint job can be quite durable and look great. My own Whaler had a clean outer hull but had the worst looking interior I had ever seen. I was forced to paint it and, yes, it is a never-ending job. Of all the boats I have owned that had to be painted, I think the small Whaler is the easiest. The hull is very straightforward without a lot of complicated areas that are hard to reach. A deal-breaker would be a hull that received a very poor paint job that had to be completely stripped and re-done. That is more work than it was worth unless the price reflected that.