Repair of Minor Chips

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Norcalfob6

Repair of Minor Chips

Postby Norcalfob6 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:08 pm

[On a MONTAUK boat] there is chipping along the keel directly on the bow [stem], [consisting of] small chips [with a diameter of about] half a dime [and extending] down five inches. At the transom two bolts have [caused] a crack in the gel coat underneath them.

Give me advice how to repair these gelcoat cracks.

The fiberglass looks undamaged.

I do not need [the repair] to match white paint. I just want [the repair] to be waterproof and protect where chipped.

Norcalfob6

Using Evercoat Formula 27 for Gel Coat Repair

Postby Norcalfob6 » Thu May 05, 2022 2:58 am

[Give me advice about using the product Evercoat Formula 27] for repair of chips in gelcoat.

[Also, give me] insight on using other materials (such as fiberglass resin) for repairs in gel coat to waterproof the chipping.

jimh

Re: Using Evercoat Formula 27 for Gel Coat Repair

Postby jimh » Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 am

Norcalfob6 wrote:[Also, give me] insight on using other materials ...for repairs in gel coat to waterproof the chipping.
For advice on making repairs to Boston Whaler hulls with materials other than Evercoat Formula 27 see the FAQ at

Q15: How are repairs made to a Unibond Hull?
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q15

I am not familiar with Evercoat Formula 27 as a repair material.

How expensive is a small can of Evercoat Formula 27?

If you have a particular interest in using Evercoat Formula 27, perhaps you could buy a small can. Test that material for making a repair. Let readers know how it turned out.

jimh

Re: Repair of Minor Chips

Postby jimh » Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 am

Norcalfob6 wrote:At the transom two bolts have [caused] a crack in the gel coat underneath them.
Your description gives me the impression that the bolts may be engine mounting bolts. If the engine mounting bolts are over-tightened and if the bolts do not have a washer to spread the load or if there is not a load bar to spread the load, then the gel coat may have been cracked by the compression applied to the transom from the engine mounting bolts.

Oldslowandugly

Re: Repair of Minor Chips

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu May 05, 2022 7:40 pm

Evercoat 27 is an all purpose polyester filler for fiberglass repairs. The benefit is that it is white in color so it will blend well to most boat hulls. For minor fairing it will be fine. But for stronger repairs I would recommend white Marine Tex which is much stronger than polyester filler. If the repair is deep and structural strength is required then a polyseter filler reinforced with fiberglass hair works very well. Common brands like "gorilla hair" are easily purchased. Most polyester fillers are not white and need to be painted to hide. Be aware that "water resistant" is not the same as "water-proof". The main problem with using polyester fillers in automotive body repair is that they eventually absorb water and rust the underlying metal. That is not really a problem on a fiberglass boat. But if not sealed well, water absorption may eventually cause the repair to fail. Marine Tex is my favorite repair material. It is truly waterproof and incredibly strong.