Method to Repair Cracks and Crazing in Shallow Drip Well Along Perimeter of Deck

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Hurleypatrick9

Method to Repair Cracks and Crazing in Shallow Drip Well Along Perimeter of Deck

Postby Hurleypatrick9 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:49 pm

[On a boat described as a 1968 13-foot SPORT COHASSET model] miles of cracks and crazing in the gel coat have been widened using a Dremel tool and faired.

Q1: for cracks and crazing in the shallow drip well along the perimeter of the deck, what repair method should be used?

I don't want to grind-out all those cracks and have to fight that narrow slot with fairing compound and sanding.

Q2: is there another way to repair cracks and crazing in the shallow drip well along the perimeter of the deck other than widening the cracks with a Dremel tool?

ASIDE:
In Spring 2021 I began repairs on a 1968 hull.

In Summer 2021 I got the boat on the water.

My method of restoring the boat is to use multiple coats of [TotalBoat] Two-part Epoxy Hi-build Primer. The top coat will be [TotalBoat] Wet Edge [TopSide Paint], a [one-part] polyurethane [paint].

Hurleypatrick9

Re: Method to Repair Cracks and Crazing in Shallow Drip Well Along Perimeter of Deck

Postby Hurleypatrick9 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:30 pm

Update: I ground the groove where cracks were evident. I [sanded] with 60 grit. Then I filled the cracks with an epoxy fairing compound or filler.

To get a smooth finish took two layers.The results looks good. The surface will be much easier to prime, to paint, and to apply new non skid.

Re: Method to Repair Cracks and Crazing in Shallow Drip Well Along Perimeter of Deck

Postby 007 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:21 pm

Thanks for the update. I will likely be tackling the same concern over the winter.