Evinrude 2016 E-TEC 90-HP Six-year Check Up

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Denny 47

Evinrude 2016 E-TEC 90-HP Six-year Check Up

Postby Denny 47 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:37 pm

My 2016 Evinrude [E-TEC 90-HP engine] has its six-year maintenance interval coming up.

Q1: on a 2016 Evinrude E-TEC 90-HP engine, what shop the shop check on the six-year maintenance interval?

Thanks for any ideas on [what the shop should check on my engine at its six-year maintenance service].

This 2015 Evinrude E-TEC 90 has so far exhibited only two problems:
  1. a leaking gasket was replaced under warranty
  2. the engine starting battery was stolen from the boat while at a dealer and awaiting service

I am really happy with the 2016 Evinrude E-TEC 90-HP engine, and I am disappointed that they are not made anymore.

The 2016 Evinrude E-TEC engine was installed on my 1989 MONTAUK [17] boat in place of a 1989 Mercury 100-HP engine that was only running on three of four cylinders.

jimh

Re: Evinrude 2016 E-TEC 90-HP Six-year Check Up

Postby jimh » Fri May 06, 2022 6:00 pm

The owner's manual for the Evinrude E-TEC should give you the recommended service items for the second three-year or 300-hour recommended maintenance interval. Typically the service will include:
  • service of the water pump using a water pump service kit
  • draining and replacement of the gear case lubricant, and replacement of the two drain seals associated with that process
  • replacement of spark plugs
  • replacement of the engine fuel filter
  • other service as indicated as necessary from analysis of any SERVICE CODES stored in the engine management module (EMM) history
  • lubrication of any points on the engine according to recommended procedures

Usually whenever an Evinrude E-TEC engine is presented to an authorized Evinrude dealer with a factory-trained service department qualified to the highest level of training, the service technician will first connect his diagnostic terminal to the engine EMM and get an ENGINE HISTORY REPORT. This report will include a list of all SERVICE CODES that were generated by the EMM during the entire history of the engine operation.

A trained E-TEC technician will respond to the details in the engine history report and take appropriate action.

You might find it interesting to read my ten-year engine maintenance history narrative for my Evinrude E-TEC engine. See

E-TEC Engine: Maintenance History After Ten Seasons
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3937

ASIDE: the legacy three-cylinder in-line 90-HP engine was a great design. I agree with your comment about the end of production. That engine was a wonderful 90-HP engine, and it should still be in production.

Denny 47

Re: Evinrude 2016 E-TEC 90-HP Six-year Check Up

Postby Denny 47 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks Jim for the follow up. Great job with the site, thanks.