1994 Montauk 17 Anchor Locker Sprue Hole; Deck Plates

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
seadevil26

1994 Montauk 17 Anchor Locker Sprue Hole; Deck Plates

Postby seadevil26 » Sat May 14, 2022 4:08 pm

What brand deck plate did Boston Whaler use in c. 1994?

Where can those deck plates be purchased in 2022?

BACKSTORY
I have a 1994 17 Montauk. I'm completely going through it, and I found what appears to be a missing deck plate in the anchor locker and a horrible patch job with some epoxy. I believe that this is where the expandable foam came out during the manufacturing.

jimh

Re: 1994 17 Montauk Anchor Locker Sprue Hole; Deck Plates

Postby jimh » Sat May 14, 2022 6:02 pm

seadevil26 wrote:What brand deck plate did Boston Whaler use in c. 1994?

Where can those deck plates be purchased in 2022?
Boston Whaler used circular pry-out deck plates made by BECKSON.

You can buy them directly from BECKSON.

See my article on BECKSON circular pry-out deck access plates at

Replacement Deck Pry-out Access Plates
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=2406

Be sure to read the hyperlinked prior account of a similar replacement of a circular pry-out deck plate.

jimh

Re: 1994 Montauk 17 Anchor Locker Sprue Hole; Deck Plates

Postby jimh » Sat May 14, 2022 6:11 pm

seadevil26 wrote:I have a 1994 17 Montauk... I found what appears to be a missing deck plate in the anchor locker...I believe that this is where the expandable foam came out during the manufacturing.
On every Boston Whaler boat Unibond hull there is a large SPRUE HOLE located in the forward part of the boat. The hole is about 3 to 4-inches in diameter. The liquid compound that would rapidly react to form foam was introduced through the sprue hole. Typically when this was done the hull would be tilted with a bow-up angle. The foam would expand, and excess foam would come out of the interior space between the double bottom hull at the main sprue hole, as well as at some secondary vent holes.

About 24-hours after the foam was introduced and expanded, the foam would be fully cured and bonded to the laminate surfaces of the hull, which were also in the process of curing their polyester resins.

The excess foam at the sprue hole would be trimmed away to be flush with the laminate.

In some boats in some years, the exposed foam would just be given a clear sealing coat and left exposed. On some boats in some years, a circular plastic cover would be set in place to close the sprue hole and held by adhesives or perhaps by curing resin.

I cannot offer an authoritative opinion about exactly what was done to your 1994 MONTAUK 17 boat when it was made. There could have never been a plastic cover, there could have been a plastic cover and it became dislodged.

But there NEVER would be a circular pry-out deck access plate at the sprue hole, at least from what I have ever seen, heard, or read.

seadevil26

Re: 1994 Montauk 17 Anchor Locker Sprue Hole; Deck Plates

Postby seadevil26 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:30 pm

Thanks so much for the clarification.