Using KING StarBoard to Make Console Parts

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
dhenze78@gmail.com

Using KING StarBoard to Make Console Parts

Postby dhenze78@gmail.com » Tue May 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Can KING Starboard be used for any parts of the side console of a 1983 SPORT 15?

[Please start a new thread for each of the four additional topics you asked about. Posts that solicit information or discussion of four or five topics are not effective methods to discuss each topic.--Moderator]

Phil T

Re: King Starboard / Seaboard for classic 15 sport side console?

Postby Phil T » Wed May 18, 2022 8:09 am

Boat Outfitters has been offering an interior kit out of KING StarBoard for many years.

They have a good rep and offer many Whaler specific products.

Call Customer Service on 866-633-7961 with any questions.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/custom-interior-kit-for-13-boston-whaler
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

dhenze78@gmail.com

Re: Using KING StarBoard to Make Console Parts

Postby dhenze78@gmail.com » Wed May 18, 2022 2:29 pm

Thanks Phil T [for your reply above]

I was not aware of [the vendor BOAT OUTFITTERS].

[Something recently learned] confirmed my concern on [the] stiffness [of some material].

[Something else learned] bodes well for cleats and console if I just do a simple replacement without the fancy storage.

That kit is pretty pricey, about three times the cost of finished wood.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed May 18, 2022 4:17 pm

Have you priced Mahogany lately? Ouch!
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 19, 2022 9:12 am

What did you learn from getting the URL to BOAT OUTFITTERS in PHIL's earlier reply that led to the new information regarding the stiffness of an unidentified material?

Were you talking about the stiffness of KING StarBoard for construction of console parts?

Also, I don't understand your comment about "cleats and console". Please explain that in more detail.

You comments did not make much sense to me. If you could explain further, it would be very helpful for providing useful information to readers. Right now, your comments are a bit cloudy.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu May 19, 2022 12:55 pm

Phil T wrote:Have you priced Mahogany lately? Ouch!

Mahogany has gone up a bit since I built my interior, but not nearly as bad as othering things. I'd expect Starboard to have a high price increase since it manufactured from petroleum.

https://www.highlandhardwoods.com/wp-content/uploads/Exotic-Lumber-050422.pdf

D-

dhenze78@gmail.com

Postby dhenze78@gmail.com » Thu May 19, 2022 5:50 pm

In response to Phil T: I have not been historically tracking mahogany pricing, but did find out one of my local Eastern Long Island supply places carries 5/4 x 12 S4S mahogany plank at $17/linear foot. I have not gone through the detail of what lengths they have available, as they list their stock as random lengths. For example thwart seats at 54-inches nominal length would be about $77 each. Seats are basically this material, finished, with the long edges radiused.

The Boating Outfitters video on their KING StarBoard kit for 13-footer wood mentioned they put some reinforcing aluminum channel below to improve the stiffness of that plastic material at least for the front seat. This makes sense since the Elastic (Flexural) Modulus of KING StarBoard is 185,000 psi (185 ksi), compared to 1,200,000 - 1,400,000 (1,200 - 1,400 ksi). This term comes in denominator of beam deflection, so without reinforcement, the plastic seat unreinforced would deflect ~ 6.6 - 7.5 times more than the mahogany seat.

Above where I wrote "cleats" I meant the thwart seat clamps.The thwart seat clamps may be a good candidates for KING StarBoard.

Besides stiffness, which I think is less of a concern for the console, my original concern on console was also motivated by some posts I'd run across insinuating [KING StarBoard suffered from] warpage or other dimensional stability under heat or sunlight.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 23, 2022 8:36 am

Thanks for the interesting data about the stiffness of KING StarBoard.

As has been previously noted in prior discussion, not every modern material is intrinsically superior to wood in every application.

The wooden components on a Boston Whaler open skiff like a 13-footer or 15-footer are part of the charm of the boat.

dhenze78@gmail.com

Postby dhenze78@gmail.com » Tue May 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Hi Jimh, I absolutely agree about the charm of nice, finished mahogany! In my case, it's a matter of limited available time and the tradeoff of 'work on it' vs. 'use it'. Interestingly, at this time I'm running into a similar consideration of wood vs. plastic (composite) for decking around the house, based on the annual time investment on refinishing the deck. We'll try replacing a partial area with TimberTech and see how that compares over time.

EDW

Postby EDW » Tue May 24, 2022 8:57 pm

I have a 1998 17' Standard I am restoring. I purchased an interior mahogany kit from Speciality Marine and sent it to Boat Outfitters in Ococee, Fl to replicate in Starboard. They built a plywood mock-up and then fabricated it in Starboard. I just picked it up on Friday. Boat Outfitters outdid themselves. Great quality, good design options were available and they gave me screws and even a drill bit to complete final assembly. One of their managers also has a 13' he restored and that kit is available through their website. The 17' kit is probably not available yet. Boat Outfitters is a great source.