1999 OUTRAGE 21 Console Modification

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mabitetti

1999 OUTRAGE 21 Console Modification

Postby mabitetti » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:42 am

Can the helm console in a 1999 OUTRAGE 21 be cut down or replaced with a shorter one?

I have a 1999 Outrage 21 that belonged to my late husband. I am five-feet three-inches tall and cannot see well over the console because it is too high.

[Moderator's note: this thread has been moved to REPAIRS and MODIFICATIONS for discussion and the originator of the thread has been notified of the move.]

dtmackey

Re: 1999 OUTRAGE 21 Console Modification

Postby dtmackey » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:17 am

If it were my boat I would have a teak or mahogany stop made to stand on with non-skid so it's not slippary. Cutting the console down is not going to be cheap since you have the wiring, steering, controls and more that need to be dealt with while the console if removed for cutting and fiberglass work, which would cost far more than he suggested step. Not to mention, the shorter console would be a turn-off for a majority of the resale market, should you decided to sell or trade for a different boat.

I suggest the step because I made one for both our Mako and Nordic Tug so the kids could operate the boat when they were in the 8-13 ages (with me aboard).

Simple and easy and remove the step for others to use the boat.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:06 am

The complaint that the console is too tall is somewhat unusual. For many years taller boaters complained that the consoles in Boston Whaler boats were too short. There was a simple remedy: install risers under the console to raise them higher. Many owners who were taller than six-feet have done that.

The analogous remedy if the console is too high: install risers under the seat to raise the helm seat. This has not been done as often as raising the console has.

However, in the particular case of a c.1999 OUTRAGE 21, the helm console on that boat is extraordinarily tall. The problem is mostly with the upper portion that is intended to house the electronics.

On first glance, it looks like the electronics box could be cut off from the rest of the console without disturbing the helm, throttles, engine controls and other elements of the console.

If the cut were very carefully and skillfully made, the electronics box and windshield could be removed, set aside, and be available for possible later reinstallation. In place of the electronics box, a new flat top to the console could be fabricated, perhaps using a material like KING StarBoard, assuming again that the cut line created a flat plane for the new top to sit atop. Then a new windshield would need to be fabricated.

A project like that would need some very skilled workmanship to accomplish in a manner that would NOT make the result look like a hack-job--that is the LAST thing you want to do to a beautiful Boston Whaler boat: hack up the fine design that created the boat

The alternative approach of creating a wooden platform as suggested by DT will be much simpler, much cheaper, won't destroy any OEM components, and won't have any lasting effect on value.

Another alternative: sell the 1999 OUTRAGE 21 and buy a boat more suitable for your own use and liking.

ASIDE: the short console height was often attributed to the designs of Bob Dougherty, head of Boston Whaler design and engineering for many years in the classic era. Bob was not a particularly tall fellow. I had the great pleasure of meeting Bob many years ago and having a very long and very interesting chat with him about his days at Boston Whaler.

jimhBobD.jpg
Fig. 1. Bob Dougherty and jimh at the Miami International Boat Show, February 12, 2004. Photo by the author, right, who is 5-feet 10-inches tall.
jimhBobD.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:50 am

I second D's suggestion to build a raised platform to stand on.

platform_.jpeg
Fig. 2. Raised platform concept drawing
platform_.jpeg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

For ergonomic reasons I would have the platform cover the distance from the console to the seat base and be the width of the console.

It should be secured to the floor and have non-slip tape on the top surface. Sand the edges.

It can be easily made from standard board lumber. Painted white and apply non-slip tape on the surface. Use 2 small stainless L brackets to keep secure.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

mabitetti

Postby mabitetti » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:34 pm

I want to thank everyone for the excellent suggestions. I think building a platform is a great idea. I'll will ask around and see if someone in my area can do it for me.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:04 am

Tapering the port and starboard sides of the new platform to be built could reduce the tripping hazard when moving about.
Butch