Tips on Applying Paint

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear

Tips on Applying Paint

Postby 007 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:30 am

I have seen pictures of really nice finishes with paint.

Give me guidance based on first-hand experience with [reparation and application of] marine paint finishes.

Tell me what brand and what product you have used and recommend.

A professional automotive painter (who is a friend) will spray the paint top coat

BACKSTORY
I plan to bring a Montauk 17 back to life by either applying new paint or new gel coat. After sanding and fairing I plan to roll a two-part epoxy primer, and I am leaning towards TotalBoat products.

dtmackey

Re: Tips on Applying Pain

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:26 pm

A two-part polyurethane will provide a glass like surface. With paint, the work is all in the preparation; the better the prep work, the better the outcome. Catalyzed paints are always more robust than moisture cure options.

Look at Imron, Awlgrip and Alexseal. I've sprayed all three; they comparable on gloss, wear, and application.

With paint you can apply non-skid and even accent your decks to create a custom look.

D-

Re: Paint vs Gel Coat

Postby 007 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:31 pm

dtmackey: Thank you for the reply. I’m leaning more and more towards paint as I talk to people that have first hand experience with paint.

ConB

Postby ConB » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:37 pm

Because you have a friend to apply the paint, I agree: use paint

In a previous life I ran the repair shop at a boatyard.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Vance's Revenge

Postby Vance's Revenge » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:53 am

I used Awlgrip on my 1980 Revenge 22 restoration because the gelcoat was in horrible condition. I use my boat in harsh sandy salt water environments and after four years of service the Awlgrip has held up tremendously well.

As a comparison, the person I bought the boat from had painted it with single stage Top Side paint which didn't hold up. Awlgrip is very expensive but turned out to be worth the extra expense. The finished product is amazing.

Preparation is everything. I ground out all of the cracks in the gelcoat and filled them with Total Boat Total Fair.

I'm no painter. I had never painting anything this large or used anything more that spray cans before this restoration. I purchased a cheap Harbor Freight paint gun kit to shoot the Awlgrip; followed the instructions and the outcome was terrific.

Vance

jimh

Re: Tips on Applying Paint

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:45 am

Do not be misled by examples of work performed by DT. He seems to be a master of boat renovation. He also seems to have all the necessary facilities and tools--and time.