Alternatives to SeaDeck flooring?

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tacky79

Alternatives to SeaDeck flooring?

Postby Tacky79 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:48 pm

I'm not happy with the non-skid deck (sole?) as it seems to get dirty really quickly. Starbrite works well to clean it up, but I was thinking of a SeaDeck install instead.

But, that's somewhat "permanent" given the adhesive on the backing. I saw a marina-neighbor's Tiara had a mat that was custom fit for his boat. I don't think it's attached via adhesive, but it looks a bit like those Coco Mats you can buy for your car's floormats, but thinner and some sort of water-proof plastic-like woven material.

Any ideas? This would probably be more for our Everglades dual-console, but maybe also for our 190 Montauk.

Thanks all.
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

dtmackey

Re: Alternatives to SeaDeck flooring?

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Tacky79 wrote:I'm not happy with the non-skid deck (sole?) as it seems to get dirty really quickly. Starbrite works well to clean it up, but I was thinking of a SeaDeck install instead.

But, that's somewhat "permanent" given the adhesive on the backing. I saw a marina-neighbor's Tiara had a mat that was custom fit for his boat. I don't think it's attached via adhesive, but it looks a bit like those Coco Mats you can buy for your car's floormats, but thinner and some sort of water-proof plastic-like woven material.

Any ideas? This would probably be more for our Everglades dual-console, but maybe also for our 190 Montauk.

Thanks all.

Buy a couple pieces and try it. I used it in a 17' Montauk, from the console back and didn't care for it. It gets hard over time (like most vinyl products in the sun) and also stains and can be difficult to clean (more so as it ages). I now only use it in compartments where I want to keep the items off the deck so air can pass under them to prevent dempness and ease of drying if they get wet.

Every spring I pull the Dri Dek and spray with a strong cleaner (Purple Power), scrube and then pressure wash to keep clean, but it develops a dirty color over time that doesn't clean up like new. I'm sure a dark color would prevent that.

D-