replacement generator

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Dexter

replacement generator

Postby Dexter » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:52 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Dave . Relatively new here. Hope some one can offer advice. Has anyone actually replaced their kohler diesel genny with another brand? Fischer-Panda ,Nextgen? I found there is a difference between 2006 and 2008 mounting positions. The 2008 which I have has a low mount with the genny located on center Fischer Panda 4200. The 2006 hull has genny mounted port to starboard length wise. The hull shape on the 2006 is flat where gen mounts where mine is stepped down on the 08. I'm trying to help a friend with 2006. BTW, the Fischer-Panda is now only available in a 5000 series which is larger than the 4200.

dtmackey

Re: replacement generator

Postby dtmackey » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:01 pm

Kohler generators seem to have problems. 3 people in my cruising group have all had problems and each one different and expensive to fix. The engines were fine, it was the engine management and generator controls that gave them problems.

We've had a Northern Lights generator in out boat since having it built new 22 years ago and it's been flawless. This year we pulled it to service the watercooled elbow and go through the motor (adjust valves, repaint and other misc things) and it was easier to pull the motor. Personally I would not buy any other generator since Northern Lights has a great track record.

This is a 5kW with a 3cyl diesel, which the additional cylinder makes for a smoother running motor.

Installed and the side access panels are removed to tie in the wiring and test run the motor before buttoning up.

D-