1987 Super Sport 13 Hull Lifting Points

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
WhalerNate

1987 Super Sport 13 Hull Lifting Points

Postby WhalerNate » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:46 am

Where can I use a jack or a jack stand or a rolling floor jack on the hull of 1987 SUPER SPORT 13 that is sitting on a bunk trailer to lift the hull off the trailer bunks, either one side at a time or both sides at once, so I can apply bottom paint to the hull that was resting on the bunks?

I am bottom painting the hull of my 1987 Super Sport 13, which is sitting on a bunk trailer. I'd like to bottom paint the hull where it rests on the trailer bunks.

Thanks for your guidance.

jimh

Re: 1987 Super Sport 13 Hull Lifting Points

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:46 am

The only safe place to use a jack to raise the a Boston Whaler Unibond hull off its trailer bunks will be on the keel center line. That is the strongest part of the hull bottom.

I would make a 2x4s with a shallow V-notch to come in contact with the hull. Lift the boat up vertically, then stabilize it with temporary supports so it cannot rock side to side.

A SUPER SPORT 13 should be rather light and easily to lift upward. You could also position the transom under a suitably strong tree limb, lift it up, and then attach lines to the transom lifting eyes and hold up the boat from the tree limb with two lines. Then move the jack to the bow end, and lift that end up. The boat should be stable in that configuration, at least long enough for the paint to dry. The tree limb is an essential tool for the shade tree mechanic.