OUTRAGE 21 Rib-side: In-deck Fuel Tank

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Barclay 71 rib side

OUTRAGE 21 Rib-side: In-deck Fuel Tank

Postby Barclay 71 rib side » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:55 am

Q1: Can an in-deck fuel tank be installed in an early 21 OUTRAGE with rib sided upper hull sides?

BACKSTORY: I am in the process of major restoration [of a 21 OUTRAGE rib-side model]. I would like to install a [below deck fuel tank with a capacity of] 40-gallons [or more], as was available in the 1973 to 1978 21 OUTRAGE boats.

I know such [a revision to the hull] will take will take extensive fiberglass work, including channels for fuel filler hoses and fuel tank vent hoses, possibly adding stringers, rerouting the rigging channel, and adding removable deck plate.

I have found an old 1974 hull [must mean another 21 OUTRAGE] with severe transom damage. I have thought about purchasing [that hull] to use the deck fiberglass [to simplify the fuel tank addition to my hull].

Give me advice [on how to convert an early 21 OUTRAGE without a below-deck fuel tank to have a below-deck fuel tank of 40-gallon capacity or more.]

Your advice would be helpful for planning the restoration of my hull to original condition as possible except for without the saddle tanks and with a new below-deck center.

00O0O_5Uj7MmxvaGhz_0CI0hq_1200x900.jpg
Fig. 1. The 21 OUTRAGE boat that is the topic of this thread, shown prior to being stripped down, the cap split from the hull, and removal of bottom paint begun. The hull and cap will soon have new fiberglass and gelcoat. The console and other teak components will be refurbished.
00O0O_5Uj7MmxvaGhz_0CI0hq_1200x900.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

[Moderator's note: a second topic about a completely different aspect of the restoration has been removed from this thread and a separate thread for the separate topic has been created.]

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 21 Rib-side: In-deck Fuel Tank

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:40 am

I believe the first step in assessing the proposed project of conversion of your hull to have a central fuel tank cavity will be to remove the center deck section--assuming there is a removable center deck section on your hull--and see what lies beneath.

Q2: have you gotten to that point in the restoration yet?

Q3: have your determined the model year of your hull?

Barclay 71 rib side

Postby Barclay 71 rib side » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:45 am

There is no removable deck section. It would have to be cut out and extensive fiberglass work but would be worth it for me. I assume the hull bottom and inside would be the same as the 73-78 modules and could be made to accommodate a fuel tank but that is really more of the question.

Barclay 71 rib side

Postby Barclay 71 rib side » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:15 am

There is no removable deck section. It would have to be cut out and extensive fiberglass work but would be worth it for me. I assume the hull bottom and inside would be the same as the 73-78 modules and could be made to accommodate a fuel tank but that is really more of the question. I will soon be at the point to take it to the fiberglass shop. I am trying to figure out if the in deck install is feasible knowing that the deck would have to cut out and foam removed rigging tube relocated around where a tank would go and re-foaming and rebuild of the deck with a removable access to the new tank. Just want to be sure there is room for it before I cut the deck as my hull is dry according to weight of boat was right at 1500 pounds stripped down before I split the hull and cap and transom seams very solid. I also have found '74 hull with damage to transom and water logged hull that I could purchase fairly cheap to salvage deck pieces to make fill tube and vent channel from tank chamber to gunwale along with flange section that could be cut out and reused with the removable deck lid for tank access. If the inside hull bottoms of the 71 and 74 are the same with foam removed it should work just not sure they are. That is the question I need answered if anyone knows.....

Barclay 71 rib side

Postby Barclay 71 rib side » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:21 am

This is the hull #
Attachments
00m0m_ibJ8sUQ8KHpz_0CI0hq_1200x900.jpg
00m0m_ibJ8sUQ8KHpz_0CI0hq_1200x900.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:19 am

It would not seem possible. stick with the saddle tanks. I believe they are 18 gallons each. I also often carried a 6 gallon portable which easily stowed under the stern sear. given all the problems reported with the under-deck tanks, i was always glad i had the saddle tanks instead.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:59 am

The structure of every Boston Whaler hull is the combination of the inner and outer fiberglass skins with the bonded foam.

This model year was not designed for under deck tank. I do not believe there is sufficient depth for a tank.

If you cut out the foam and inner skin for a tank, you will be severely compromising the hull. Only a company with significant experience with Boston Whaler restoration should attempt this. I would estimate the fiberglass work if done will cost $5-7,000.

Why not just add a 22 gallon above deck tank under the RPS OR have 2 saddle tanks fabricated. So much easier, cheaper and more authentic.

If you do modify the hull, you will decrease the value.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003