c.1970 NEWPORT: Attaching Pump to Drain Opening

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
tavacska

c.1970 NEWPORT: Attaching Pump to Drain Opening

Postby tavacska » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:42 am

On my NEWPORT 17 I am trying to install a livewell which needs water feed from abroad. [I don't think it needs imported water, you probably mean it needs seawater--Moderator]

The side through hole [please clarify what this means] is too high to let water feed in [to something undescribed].

The keel thru-hole [I think you mean aft cockpit sum drain] is the only [source of seawater that can be used].

I have seen others use a self-priming pump and a flexible pipe hanging outside--not my preference.

I want to connect my livewell pump to the keel hole [I think you mean the aft cockpit sum drain] when I am in boat, then disconnect it when I am on land.

Q1: what adaptor will be needed to accomplish this properly?

I tried to push a copper pipe with rubber surround into the hole.

jimh

Re: c.1970 NEWPORT: Attaching Pump to Drain Opening

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:28 pm

I think this is your question:

tavacska wrote:Q1: what adaptor will be needed to properly [allow a pump to be fitted onto the aft center cockpit sump drain on a c.1970 NEWPORT 17 to allow a pump to be easily connected to the drain when desired and also allow the pump to be easily removed]?

If that is actually what you are trying to ask, then I have two more questions for you:

Q2: do you want the pump and its weight to be supported and held in place by the connection to the aft cockpit center sump drain?

Q3: or, will you just be connecting a hose from the pump to the drain by some means?

Typically all the sump drains on a c.1970 Boston Whaler 16-footer will be made from brass tubes. The only method of connection to a brass tube sump drain is to fit a rubber stopper plug with a compression mechanism to hold it in place. On that basis if you want to use the aft cockpit center sump drain to connect a hose or to support the weight of a pump, replacing the brass tube drain with something more substantial will probably be necessary.

tavacska

Postby tavacska » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks for replying and clarifying my question.

I will place my pump in the cockpit and just connect a hose into the sump drain.

I was thinking to replace the brass tube with a threaded tube. However, there comes another challenge on how to seal the tube on both sides as the original tube.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 am

tavacska wrote:I will place my pump in the cockpit and just connect a hose into the sump drain. I was thinking to replace the brass tube with a threaded tube. However, there comes another challenge on how to seal the tube on both sides as the original tube.
I do not foresee a problem with making a seal for a new through-hull drain of any type. The problem to be solved is actually the method that will be employed to have a fitting on the inboard side of the new drain tube that allows:
  • the drain to be easily left open or closed, and
  • easily allows a hose to be attached to the drain when it is open.
If you solve that problem you can accomplish your goal.

tavacska

Postby tavacska » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:03 pm

Can I drill another thru hull just one-inch above the cockpit drain?

It will make the feed water permanent.

Is there any reason not to do so?

tavacska

Postby tavacska » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:09 pm

Can I drill another thru hull just 1" above the cockpit drain? It will make the feed water permanent?

Is there any reason not to do so?

I don't think it's a good idea, just find out it will be around 1 ft drill.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:14 am

The typical practice of installing a livewell pump is to install a bracket and pump on the outside of the lower transom and route the hose up and over the transom. See below:

transom_mounted_livewell_pump.jpg
Fig. 1. Installation of a sea water pump for filling a live well.
transom_mounted_livewell_pump.jpg (58.95 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

Existing drains in the hull will not provide adequate water volume for the livewell.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003