Adding New Mechanical Steering to Custom 13-footer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Mudshark

13-footer: Change to Cable Steering from Wire Rope

Postby Mudshark » Mon May 02, 2022 9:00 pm

Give me advice and suggestions on how to convert to mechanical cable steering from wire rope and pulley steering on a 1976 13 STANDARD.

Q1: Between SeaStar and Dometic mechanical cable steering helms, which should I purchase?

Q2: What is the proper length of cable for a 1976 13 STANDARD?

Q3: What are common challenges when converting to mechanical cable steering from wire rope and pulley steering?

ASIDE: I'm restoring a 1976 13 STANDARD with traditional starboard-side helm station and an Evinrude 40-HP engine.

Phil T

Re: 13-footer: Change to Cable Steering from Wire Rope

Postby Phil T » Mon May 02, 2022 9:25 pm

For the steering, a Teleflex Safe-T kit is appropriate with an 9-feet cable.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/safe-t-qc-rotary-steering-kit-by-teleflex.html

If you have a notched transom, a stand-off bracket kit may be needed.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/8466

Tom Clark posted in a old thread:

What you want is a 9-feet cable and Teleflex makes that length. The only trouble you might have is finding a 9-feet cable packaged with the helm, which is the most economical way to purchase it.

Teleflex makes several different mechanical helms that would fit this boat but what I recommend is the Safe-T-NFB helm.

The Safe-T-NFB is a three-turns lock-to-lock system just like the Safe-T QC but adds the no-feedback (NFB) clutch that means the engine cannot spin the steering wheel. Given the use of this boat by multiple club members, the NFB feature seems prudent.

The Teleflex part number for the kit of helm and 9-feet cable would be SS13209, however, I am having a hard time finding one for sale in the US, though they are listed in the UK, Germany and Australia.

You could also use a Safe-T QC which would be Teleflex part number SS13709. This system is, in fact, what Whaler used in the 1980s and 1990 for the Sport 13.

Cf: https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/020650.html
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 03, 2022 7:02 am

Many modern engines employ a tilt-tube design in which a steering actuator can be threaded onto the Starboard side of the tilt tube, exit on the port side of the tilt tube, and a drag link can be attached to the end of the actuator arm and coupled to a tiller extension or steering tang on the engine. However, on old 13-footer boats (typically made prior to c.1972) with a notched transom, the engine actuator often can't be fitting onto the engine tilt-tube because of interference. Figure 1 below shows the rigging with a stand-off bracket mounted on the transom and holding the actuator:

Fig. 1. An old 13-footer with mechanical cable steering. A stand-off bracket it through-bolted to the transom and holds the actuator in place, but it has a gimbal mechanism that permits the engine to tilt.

Fig. 2. Details of the stand-off bracket assembly originally made by Teleflex SeaStar.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 03, 2022 7:08 am

If the wire rope and pulley steering system is in good condition and working order, you might give some thought to keeping it. On a old classic 13-footer the wire rope and pulley steering is part of the classic nature of the boat. You might even find it works better than the mechanical cable steering.

I am a bit surprised that a 1976 Boston Whaler 13-footer would have been rigged with wire rope and pulley steering. Most of the boats mentioned as having wire rope and pulley steering are older than that, typically from the late 1960s.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Tue May 03, 2022 12:00 pm

I had an early 1970's 13-footer with wire rope and pulley steering system. I never had a problem with the steering system.

Sg5054

Postby Sg5054 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:22 am

I prefer the wire rope and pulley steering system on the 13-footer because it is very responsive and the design is classic. I bought a spool of the wire rope. I replaced the wire rope whenever the vinyl jacket started cracking.

Johnfinn99

Adding New Mechanical Steering to Custom 13-footer

Postby Johnfinn99 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:41 pm

[This more recent article has now been merged with a prior discussion on the same topic--Moderator]

I am restoring a 1968 SPORT 13. I am also adding center console and removing the starboard side wooden console

I plan to install a Teleflex mechanical steering system.

Q1: is an 11-foot cable for Teleflex mechanical steering the correct length needed from my new modified steering position at the new added center console I will install?

ASIDE: I know I will need the [transom] stand off kit for the steering cable.

Q2: is a special fitting needed[to attach the steering actuator rod to the engine?

Q3: what is the fitting that attaches the steering actuator rod to the engine called?

Q4: from what vendor can I buy the fitting needed to attach the steering actuator rod to the engine?

Thanks

Phil T

Re: Adding New Mechanical Steering to Custom 13-footer

Postby Phil T » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:53 pm

The stand-off bracket for the mechanical cable steering actuator has a pivot ball-socket included. Visit

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/teleflex-sa27055p-outboard-clamp-block-kit.html

To buy in white see:

https://www.amazon.com/Teleflex-SeaStar-Outboard-Solutions-SA27055P/dp/B0000AXTY7
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:56 pm

To measuring for the length of the steering cable use a garden hose as a substitute, and remember: no kinks.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Johnfinn99

Postby Johnfinn99 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:10 pm

Q5: does the ball in the stand off bracket have sufficient play to allow the motor to be raised?

I seem to remember that another fitting was needed where the steering cable attaches to the tiller on the motor, and the fitting is called a ball clevis.

PHIL T--thanks for the response.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:15 pm

See this thread and the photo of the setup.

[The linked thread is now this thread as the two have been merged--Moderator]

Q6: do you have the hardware on the engine side?

Q7: is that [hardware] what you are looking for?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Johnfinn99

Postby Johnfinn99 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:22 pm

A7: Yes, I need the fitting where the cable attaches to the engine. I do not have that piece.

My 1987 Evinrude engine has a tiller arm. I don't think I need the stainless steel part [this part should be referenced to an illustration in this thread that shows the part--Moderator]

I just need the part where the cable attached to the tiller arm.

I recall its name was "ball clevis," but I could be totally wrong.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:50 pm

The precise mechanical connector that will be needed to attach the end of the mechanical steering actuator rod to the tiller of your particular outboard engine is unknown to me, as typically if the engine was set up for tiller steering and tiller throttle control, each manufacturer had their own method of adaptation for remote steering control. I recommend you investigate the particular outboard engine you have and what it needs for attachment of remote steering by consulting with a dealer of that engine brand who has been around since the 1970's.

The ball-and-socket transom standoff bracket mount will allow for some range of motion. You can see a typical rigging in this illustration:

Repeating the early illustrations in this thread which has now been merged because the same topic is being discussed:
Fig. 1. Mechanical steering actuator mounted on a transom stand-off bracket and connected to the engine tiller extension bar using a clevis.

In Figure 1 above, the end of the actuator rod has a clevis fitting. The outboard engine also has a special fitting that has been attached to what was originally a carrying handle. The engine fitting and the actuator clevis connect. The clevis can move in two planes that are at 90-degree orientation to each other.

Fig. 2. A detail of the transom stand-off bracket with a ball-and-socket arrangement

Figure 2 above shows in detail the nature of the Teleflex ball-and-socket transom standoff mounting bracket which will hold in place the end of the mechanical cable and the rod actuator.

ASIDE: to refer to illustrations in this thread use the figure number associated with the illustration in its caption.

Johnfinn99

Postby Johnfinn99 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:07 pm

Thanks for the input folks.

I have determined that the part I need is called a "ski boat clevis kit" and is available from Seastar (Teleflex) and others. Its purpose is to allow the connection between the steering cable and the engine to flex in two dimensions when the motor is raised or lowered.

The Teleflex part number for the ski boat clevis kit is SA27576P.

The part number I gave above is going to be difficult to locate. It is perhaps more heavy-duty than the another clevis kit that is more readily available. That clevis kit has part number is SA27329P, and it can be found on Amazon for $55 or on eBay for $25 or at several marine supply sites for $40 to $60.

I'm going to try that more-available clevis kit. I hope it will be strong enough to work. Too bad the beefier one doesn't seem to be available.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:30 am

Regarding the Teleflex Clevis Kits, the following models and part numbers are available:

Teleflex Steering Connection Clevis Kit, Short Bolt
Part number SA27314P

Teleflex Steering Connection Clevis Kit, Long Bolt
Part number SA27329P

Teleflex Steering Connection Clevis Kit, Short Bolt, Ski Boat
Part number SA27576P

I believe the designator "Ski Bolt" refers to inboard engine boats popular for water skiing.