Marine Tech Tool for Uflex Steering End Cap Removal

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tripp920

Marine Tech Tool for Uflex Steering End Cap Removal

Postby Tripp920 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:45 pm

[Moderator’s note: separated from a from a six-year-old dormant thread.]

The Uflex [hydraulic steering actuator] end caps are hard to remove. I was able to do it.

The original [Uflex steering actuator end fitting] has two holes; a newer model has four holes.

Using a tool [described only as] from Marine Tech, I was NOT able to loosen [the end caps of the Ufex hydraulic steering actuator, which from a later comment one can infer were the two-hole type end caps].

Utimately, [the Uflex hydraulic steering actuator] was put in a vice, and a 24-inch pipe wrench was used [to remove the two-hole end caps].

For installation of new [four-hole type] end caps, the Marine Tech Tool tool was used so as to permit the correct torque of 132-lbs-feet to be applied [when tightening the end caps in place]. The Marine Tech tool worked well for this.

The new-style [Uflex actuator end] caps have four holes. The [Marine Tech] tool got a good bite on three holes.

A pipe wrench could have been used, but I wanted to torque [the new four-hole end caps to the specified value of 132-lbs-feet].

jimh

Re: Marine Tech Tool for Uflex Steering End Cap Removal

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:30 pm

In this discussion there is a mention of a tool but only described as a “Marine Tech tool.”

Such vague descriptions are not particularly useful. Much more useful would be to give the exact name of the tool as given to the tool by its manufacturer, and also very useful would be to give a hyperlink to the manufacturer’s website page that describes the tool.

I have no idea if the link below points to “the tool” mentioned above, but it does point to the Marine Tech Tool website page that describes a tool they make for working on Uflex steering actuators:

https://marinetech.com/uflex-steering-c ... t0037.html

Of the many similar tools made by Marine Tech, this is the only tool in their application chart that is denoted as being for Uflex steering cylinders.

Tripp920 wrote:The [Marine Tech] tool got a good bite on three holes.
The Marine Tech Tool company tool linked above for the Uflex only has three pins, so it only grips three pins.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:45 am

Regarding the application of a specific amount of torque onto a fastener:

With the unusual tool mentioned above, if a torque wrench applies a particular amount to torque to the tool, because the torque wrench is not applying the turning moment at the center of the axis of rotation of the fastener, the actual force applied to the fastener will be greater than the indicated force on the torque wrench due to the effect of a longer moment arm.

Other threads on the general topic of Uflex steering end caps and tools for removing them are:

From 2019:
Leaky End Caps on Uflex UC128-OBF1
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=4220

From 2016:
Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Leak
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... 104&p=7446

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:18 am

The endcap seal replacement problems continue. Ultimately I went through the process twice with our 135 Verado. The last time I did this was in 2020 and it was very easy. The latest endcap design at that time was a hexagonal shape which required only an open end wrench to install. Because the original round endcap was to be thrown out a pipe wrench was used to remove them. The pipe wrench destroyed their appearance as expected but I had no plans to reuse them.

Given the relatively short life span of the seals I recommend owners retain a spare set of endcaps.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks for the further information that Uflex now has a third iteration of design for the problematic end caps with the latest version no longer needing a specialized $65 tool to tighten or loosen them.

I hope the Uflex system proves more reliable with this new design.

ASIDE: did your VERADO engine have the electro-hydraulic power steering?

The reason for asking is an idea that perhaps a higher pressure occurs with power steering, although I expect that even manual steering can apply significant pressure onto the actuating ram and its seals.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:50 am

Electro-hydraulic power steering was installed with the six cylinder Verados as far as I know. I believe the early 150 HP Verados were six cylinder engines. The six cylinder 150 HP Verados were replaced by the previous 135 HP model. Then only change to the 135 HP to increase the HP to 150 was modified ECU mapping. The improved 150 HP four cylinder Verados were equipped with only hydraulic steering.
Butch