Revenge 22 W-T Drains: Six Questions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jcomeau0

Revenge 22 W-T Drains: Six Questions

Postby Jcomeau0 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:00 pm

I have a 1988 Revenge 22 Walk-Through. The forward-most storage compartment under the cabin berth is full of water. It doesn’t have a drain tube of any type. The water seems to be seeping through the bulkhead that separates this storage compartment from the anchor locker.

Q1: what can be done to stop water flowing into the storage area?

Q2: is drilling a hole to let this compartment drain into the cabin so that it will make its way out the cabin sump drain recommended?

On the cockpit deck there are two 2-inch-diameter round vented metal drains, located between the helm seat and bulkhead wall on either side of the cabin door.

Q3: what is the purpose of the two deck drains described above?

Q4: where do those drain passages go to?

There is a clam shell covering something on the hull bottom on the starboard side about two feet forward of the transom.

Q5: is the clam shell a drain?

Q6: if the clam shell is a drain, where is its origin?

jimh

Re: Revenge 22 W-T Drains: Six Questions

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:37 am

Jcomeau0 wrote:Q1: what can be done to stop water flowing into the storage area?
The anchor locker on a REVENGE 22 Walk-Through has its own overboard drain. If there is a flow of water from the anchor locker into the cabin, the most reasonable inferences are:
  • the drain for the anchor locker is blocked and not allowing water to drain overboard
  • the seal on the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the cabin is not intact.

To solve the problem of water accumulating in the cabin due to a leak in the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the cabin, I suggest this remedy:
  • Check the overboard drain or drains in the anchor locker to be certain a drain is not blocked; if a drain is blocked, remove the blockage; note that the outboard end of the drain may be covered by a clam shell vent on the hull sides near the bow. You may need to remove the clam shell vent to get full access to the drain from the outboard end of the drain on the hull sides; note that mud from a muddy anchor placed in the anchor locker could cause a drain to become blocked.
  • Check the integrity of the seal on the bulkhead that separates the cabin from the anchor locker; the best approach to renewing the seal will have to be determined on-site. There should not be any significant amount of water retained in the anchor locker if its drain is open and flowing.

Jcomeau0 wrote:Q2: is drilling a hole to let this compartment drain into the cabin so that it will make its way out the cabin sump drain recommended?
I do not recommend drilling a hole to allow water to drain from the anchor locker into the cabin. The cabin sump drain cannot be left open when the boat is in the water as it would allow the cabin sump to flood to the water line. Your proposed solution would not be an effective remedy to your problem.

Jcomeau0 wrote:Q3: what is the purpose of [the two cockpit deck 2-inch-diameter round vented metal drains, located between the helm seat and bulkhead wall on either side of the cabin door]?
Those openings in the forward part of the cockpit deck drain water from the deck into the rigging tunnels.

Jcomeau0 wrote:Q4: where do those drain passages go to?
The drains flow into the rigging tunnels and drain water aft. The starboard rigging tunnel drains into the starboard cockpit sump. The port rigging tunnel drains into a hose that flows into the starboard rigging tunnel.

Jcomeau0 wrote:Q5: is the clam shell [on the hull bottom on the starboard side about two feet forward of the transom] a drain?
The clam shell partially covers a through-hull drain. The purpose of the clam shell is to enhance the Bernoulli effect of the flow of water along the hull bottom creating a suction to pull water out of the drain.

Jcomeau0 wrote:Q6: if the clam shell is a drain, where is its origin?
The origin of the drain that is covered by a clam shell is the starboard cockpit sump in the aft part of the cockpit. This sump is covered by a hinged hatch cover made from mahogany plywood.

My remarks are based on owning a REVENGE 20 and REVENGE 22 25-years.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:52 am

Regarding drains on a Boston Whaler boat, the owner's manual gives advice about their use and whether or not to insert blocking plugs. If you do not have a copy of the owner's manual, you can read the on-line HTML version I created. It is available from the REFERENCE section of the WHALER section of the website at:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual18-25/

For information about through-hull drains in particular, read the manual at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... elfBailing

Note that the REFERENCE section contains a great deal of further information about Boston Whaler boats that supplement the information in this forum and in the OLD FORUM.

The continuouswave website has been collecting and organizing information about Boston Whaler boats since c.2000.

Jcomeau0

Postby Jcomeau0 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:32 pm

JimH thanks for the replies.

Neither of the two anchor locker drains are blocked so I don’t know how this much water accumulated in the compartment. The water is about six-inches about deep. The bulkhead is sealed with some type of caulking. I guess I’ll remove all that and reseal it.

Thanks for the advice not to drill a drain between the compartment and cabin. Never even thought of it filling due to having the plug in while the boat is in water.

As for the clam shell vent on the hull near the transom, it’s not the drain from the floor fish box. That one I’ve located. This one is more starboard than that.

I do have the owners manual to the Revenge. Thanks again.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:26 am

The claim shell drain on starboard hull bottom aft is from the starboard aft cockpit sump. The sump is covered by a hinged hatch. The sump is at the end of the starboard rigging tunnel. The hatch is outboard from centerline at the joint between the cockpit deck and the inwale of the hull sides. It is really very obvious. There should be several hoses, cables, and wires exiting through a notch in the small hatch and running to the outboard engine. You can’t miss it.

Jcomeau0

Postby Jcomeau0 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:44 pm

JimH--Thanks for the reply.

In the starboard hinged hatch on my boat there is a small pump that discharges through an hull in the [inwale above the waterline]. There may very well be a drain in [the cockpit aft starboard sump] as you suggested, but I can’t see it. This sump area is only about six-inches deep and goes under the solid section of my deck. I couldn’t see [a drain] in there. I’ll have to clean up [the sump] as best I can and look [for the drain] with a mirror. Thanks again.

Jcomeau0

Postby Jcomeau0 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:46 am

JimH, thanks for the drain location help. I did locate that drain in the starboard aft [cockpit] sump pf the REVENGE 22 W-T.

I found the sump full of dirty water. and the drain had a plug inserted in it with a broken handle.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:09 pm

I was certain you would find a drain in the starboard aft cockpit sump of the REVENGE 22 W-T boat once you were able to get a closer look.