REVENGE: Brass Through Hull Drain Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jcomeau0

REVENGE: Brass Through Hull Drain Replacement

Postby Jcomeau0 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:41 am

Q1: is replacement of four through-hull drains on my recently purchased Revenge [a good idea]?

I do not know the condition of the brass through hull drains.

Q2: between brass and plastic, which is preferred for replacement drains?

[Moderator's note: when soliciting advice for recommendations about possible future repairs to be neeed on a Boston Whaelr boats, mentioned the year of the boats manufacture, its length, its model designator, and any known history of how the boat was used. This will give readers a much better idea of what sort of problems might have already occurred may be likely to occur in the near future on the boat. Alsodescribe the general condition of the boat at present so that readers be able to give more appropriate replies.]

Phil T

Re: REVENGE: Brass Through Hull Drain Replacement

Postby Phil T » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:33 am

If the O-rings [seals on the brass through-hull drains] are dried and cracked OR the brass tube is rusted, I would replace all of them. I replace all the drains as a matter of practice on every classic Boston Whaler boat I have purchased. It is preventative, and I rest easy knowing they are all good.

Plastic through-hull fittings do not contour themselves to the angled walls. It is for this reason Whaler uses brass. You cut them to match the angle of the surface.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: REVENGE: Brass Through Hull Drain Replacement

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:47 am

On my 1990 REVENGE 22 W-T Whaler Drive boat the brass through-hull drains are still all original. My boat is a bit of a trailer queen, and it is generally only in freshwater, and only for perhaps a week or two each year in total time on the water as we now are mostly day-sailing it off the trailer or going on three or four day trips.

If your unknown-year REVENGE and unknown-length REVENGE has been a saltwater boat or is a boat that was in the water year-round or even in the water for months and months every year, the condition of the brass through-hull drains may have deteriorated. You need to carefully inspect each drain to assess its integrity.

The most important of the through-hull drains to have concern about its integrity is the deep drain in the engine splash well. This drain is always underwater. If there is ingress of water in the transom area the embedded plywood reinforcement material could become wet and rot, which will be a huge problem to remedy.