OUTRAGE 18 Using Through-Hull SONAR Transducer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Odonnell69

OUTRAGE 18 Using Through-Hull SONAR Transducer

Postby Odonnell69 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:57 am

I am considering installing a through hull SONAR transducer in my 1986 OUTRAGE 18 in the fuel tank cavity area. I would do this after I removed the original fuel tank and installed a shorter one. I have read all the articles about installing a through-hull SONAR transducer in the aft bilge sump, but I’d like to locate the transducer close to the keel to protect when trailering and because there seems to be more room there. I’ve got fiberglass and sheet metal experience.

Give me comments on this idea.

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 18 Using Through-Hull SONAR Transducer

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:06 pm

Odonnell69 wrote:I have read all the articles about installing a through-hull SONAR transducer in the aft cockpit live well...
I hope you read the articles that mention that when Boston Whaler planned for a boat to have a through-hull SONAR transducer they created a dedicated area in the hull during the laminating and molding of the hull for just that purpose. These areas are called a "putty box" and are not filled with foam. Instead of foam a putty material was placed there so there would be more protection against the ingress of water into the foam interior of a Unibond hull.

If you did not read about putty boxes, you should read articles on that topic. This search result page will give you some links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... +putty+box

If you really want to install a through-hull SONAR transducer, consider getting one with a tilted element or angled beam offset to match the deadrise angle in the hull. AIRMAR makes a series of through-hull transducers. See more at

AIRMAR
P19 Traditional/CW Tilted Element™ Thru‑hull

https://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=140

For an 18-foot boat, I think a through-hull SONAR transducer would be very unusual. Generally through-hull SONAR transducers are used on larger boats with very powerful SONAR transmitters that are run far offshore into deep water in search of pelagic ocean fish.

Odonnell69 wrote:I’d like to locate the transducer close to the keel to protect when trailering and because the seems to be more room there.
Your comment seems a bit unusual to me. Most Boston Whaler boats that live on trailers are on trailers with keel rollers. To avoid damage you would want to keep the transducer operating face away from the keel.

Also, with proper installation of a transom-mounted transducer, very excellent SONAR echoes can be obtained even at very high boat speeds. If you need more resolution in your SONAR for purposes of angling, then you should get a modern sweep-frequency-modulated continuous-wave SONAR (invariably called a "chirp" SONAR). These modern SONAR devices employ powerful digital electronics to significantly improve SONAR range and resolution.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 pm

Transom mounted transducer quality and relatively low cost cause me to wonder why you believe a through the hull transducer is worth the cost and effort to install. Transducers fail. The thought or replacing a through the hull transducer in your application when it inevitably fails seems daunting to me.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 pm

A dozen or so owners have considered the modifications you suggest [to install a through-hull SONAR transducer,] but have reconsidered once they have investigated the planning, fabrication, installation work, and cost. Through hull transducers are typically installed into a solid block of fiberglass made in the hull during construction at the factory.

Cutting into the hull for drains and transducers should be done with the utmost caution and skill and for very compelling reasons.

A professional fiberglass worker who is knowledgeable with Boston Whaler hull construction should be hired. Not just any Joe from a yard. Installed incorrectly, it can result in thousands of dollars in repairs. Several years ago I provided technical support to a new owner in Australia who bought a pre-owned Whaler with a damaged hull due to an improper after market installed thru-hull transducer. The repairs took a great deal of time and cost a significant amount.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Odonnell69

Postby Odonnell69 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:29 pm

Jim, Phil and Butch,

Thanks for the great feedback.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:57 am

Regarding using a transom mounted SONAR transducer, there is good advice about transducer mounting in an article in the REFERENCE section.

The REFERENCE section is located at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

The article on SONAR transducer mounting is located at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... ducer.html

The article discusses SONAR transducer installation and operation with a special emphasis on installation and use with Boston Whaler boats.

Don McIntyre - MI

Re: Outrage 18 Fuel Tank Replacement and Fuel Tank Cavity Drain to the Sea

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:06 pm

Odonnell69 wrote:I am considering installing a through hull SONAR transducer in my 1986 OUTRAGE 18 in the fuel tank cavity area....Give me comments on this idea.
Years ago I had read an article in a boating magazine on how the writer had placed a transducer in a custom made well, and submerged it in an oil. The writer did not actually go cutting through the hull.

Doing a web query came across this link that was very interesting:

How to Install an In-Hull Transducer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMp_cmbdhYw

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:54 am

The shoot-through or in-bilge SONAR transducer that is shown being installed in the interesting video linked above won't work with a Unibond hull due to the presence of the embedded foam in the hull laminate structure.