1996 DAUNTLESS [17]: Loose Steering Wheel

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Quogue

1996 DAUNTLESS [17]: Loose Steering Wheel

Postby Quogue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:29 am

The steering wheel wiggles left to right on my 1996 DAUNTLESS [OF UNKNOWN SIZE, which much later in the discussion was revealed to be a DAUNTLESS 17].

Q1: is there a bushing that can be easily replaced [to remedy the wiggling from side to side of the steering wheel]?

The steering wheel center nut is tight, but the shaft has left and right play that it should not have. I believe the wheel is a tilt wheel.

The previous owner of this 1996 DAUNTLESS [later revealed to be a DAUNTLESS 17] said the wiggle was always there--but there is no way this boat would have left Boston Whaler like that. The length of movement is about one-inch left-to-right

The engine is turned port-to-starboard as it should be, without concern, and the center nut [that retains the steering wheel onto the shaft of the helm] is tight. I have confidence the helm is secure

In the near future I will take a closer look at this movement.

[To anyone with insight on the tendency of the steering wheel on a c.1996 DAUNTLESS [later revealed to be a DAUNTLESS 17] to have horizontal play in the steering wheel of about one inch:] give your advice about this defect.

Phil T

Re: 1996 DAUNTLESS [17]: Loose Steering Wheel

Postby Phil T » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:04 am

You do not mention whether the helm is hydraulic or mechanical.

The steering wheel is attached to the steering shaft which connects to the helm.

The mechanical helm is attached to the console face via a bracket with two or three screw fasteners. The likely cause of this problem is these screw fasteners are loose. To gain access to the screw fasteners, you will most likely need to remove the wheel and the helm cover.

The hydraulic helm has a flange with bolts, washers, and nuts that go through the console face. You might be able to tighten the nuts from inside the console.

Check inside the console with a flashlight and look for fasteners.

Report back.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:32 am

When seeking advice about a particular model of Boston Whaler boat, please mention the year, the model name, and the length.

Quogue

Postby Quogue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:23 pm

PHIL T: Thanks for the information. I checked the helm nut, loosened; I and retightened it. All there is good. I do not have a wheel puller. I was shy about bashing the flush nut with upward pressure on the [steering] wheel (as I have seen on the internet to remove the [steering] wheel for further inspection. I have family coming. I want to use the boat not make it worse. On further inspection the tilt steering is [mechnical cable] and not hydraulic. [The steering] seems to turn fine. The left-right play in this tilt helm is more like a 0.25 to 0.375-inch, not as much as I first reported. With this in mind. I will try to get used to the play in the wheel. [The wheel] seems to turn fine on dry dock. The helm is held in place by three nuts; the three nuts are firm. If I try to wiggle the helm from below, there is no indication of anything loose.

PHIL T: Thanks again for your input.

ASIDE ABOUT THE BOAT
{The boat under discussion is] a 1996 DAUNTLESS 17 dual console. I am looking forward to getting the boat in the water and seeing how the boat and engine run.

ASIDE WHY I BOUGHT THIS BOAT.
I bought this [1996 DAUNLTESS 17 boat] because I was [hesitant] to trailer one of my other Boston Whaler boats (that I co-own with my brother) from [Long Island, New York,] to John's Island, South Carolina, mostly because the saltwater of [Long Island Sound] has not been great on the boat trailers; [I also fear that] having a [trailer axle] snap 400-miles away from home would not be fun.

ASIDE ABOUT MY SEVERAL E-TEC ENGINES
[The comments are unrelated to the topic of this thread and have been moved to their own thread for further discussion]

OTHER BOSTON WHALER BOATS
I also own a 1973 SPORT 13that my dad bought for the family.

PROBLEMS USING THE FORUM SOFTWARE:
[If you need help using the forum software, please post in the separate forum INTRODUCTION TO THE FORUM SOFTWARE. THE GAM is a forum about Boston Whaler boats, and discussions about particular problems in using the forum software is not a suitable topic for THE GAM. To get help or advice about how to use for forum software, please post in the separate forum whose topic is the forum software, not in a forum whose topic is boating.]

jimh

Re: 1996 DAUNTLESS [UNKNOWN SIZE]: Loose Steering Wheel

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 pm

Quogue wrote: I was shy about bashing the flush nut...
What is a "flush nut"? I do not recall this term being ever used before in regard to any sort of fastener that retains a steering wheel to the helm.

For help in removing the steering wheel from the shaft of the helm, see the illustrated article in the REFERENCE section at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... xSeal.html

Quogue

Postby Quogue » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:51 am

Got it I will try and keep to topic, just did the same thing again though before I read your feedback.

Quogue

Postby Quogue » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:04 am

Yes bad descriptive, I was referring to this method for removing a steering wheel when you do not have a puller handy, not professional but seems to work for the below you tube person.
https://youtu.be/iDWDp06ap9k

I should of said flushing the helm nut to protect the threads before hitting the helm axel, I am just not familiar with the part names. I am sure a mechanic would cringe at this way of removing a steering wheel but none the less if you have no options another way to remove the wheel.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:02 pm

Do me a favor, using your phone, capture a short video (<2 minutes) that shows the movement of the wheel with your narration and email it to me.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:43 am

The youtube video is not useful for wheel hubs on helms of older boats that have not had the wheel removed for many years unless the shaft was well coated with grease when the wheel was last installed.

Our 1981 Sport 13 is a good example. I've tried virtually everything I could think of to remove the wheel except applying heat or disassembling the original console. That includes buying a wheel puller appropriate to the job and using a brass drift pin and heavy hammer against the shaft end with a high pressure applied on the puller. I also applied all the recommended penetrating fluids to the shaft to wheel interface.

I want to remove the wheel so I can replace the very rusted helm and install a properly fitting steering cable and Steersman nut. Due to the difficulty of the work I have abandoned the project. I would have the work professionally done but don't trust the local dealer to do it without damage to the console.

In a couple of weeks I may buy a propane torch kit and give it another try.
Butch