Remote Shift Control Cable Too Tight

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
seamuspg

Remote Shift Control Cable Too Tight

Postby seamuspg » Thu May 18, 2023 1:09 pm

[At end of season 2022] work was done on a remote shift cable, which had snapped. The new cable feels too tight.
When my hand is removed from the shift-throttle land, the handle pulls back. As a result, I cannot set an engine speed, unless I keep my hand on the shift-throttle remote control handle.

Q1: how much difficulty is there is a repair of a remote shift control cable that is too tight?

Q2: what will be the cost of repair of a remote shift control cable that is too tight?

Phil T

Re: Re: Remote Shift Control Cable Too Tight

Postby Phil T » Thu May 18, 2023 4:46 pm

There is a friction adjustment in the [remote shift-throttle assembly].
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

seamuspg

Postby seamuspg » Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 pm

Please explain further, as I am less technically inclined.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu May 18, 2023 10:22 pm

Under the cover of the [remote throttle-and shift control] there is an adjustment knob or screw that creates resistance so the throttle handle does not slide back to neutral.

If you provide us the make/model of shifter, we may be able to provide guidance on how to remove the shifter cover and gain access to the adjustment knob/screw.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

seamuspg

Re: Remote Shift Control Cable Too Tight

Postby seamuspg » Tue May 23, 2023 8:18 am

I will have a look and report back. A repair may not be as difficult as I thought.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 23, 2023 8:33 am

The mechanical cables that transmit the motion of the remote control shift-throttle lever to the engine are available in different grades. The better grade cables provide less friction in the cable itself. Instead of the cable being "too tight", the new cable may actually have less friction than the old cable. This loss of friction in the cable may be the reason the remote control shift-throttle lever is not staying in position. You may need to add more friction to the system by adjusting the friction or drag control in the remote control itself.

Also, because this problem began after replacement of the original shift cable, perhaps the routing of the new cable has not been done properly. If there are small radius bends in the cable, the action of the cable may not be as good as a cable without those sharp bends.

Generally the operating instructions for a remote shift-throttle control will provide information about how to make adjustments to the control.

Also, engine manufacturers often sell different tiers of remote shift-throttle single-lever controls. The more expensive controls work better. The basic controls may not have as many features, such as internal drag or friction adjustments.

Apparently you hired a mechanic to perform the installation of the new cable. Consult with the mechanic and inform him of the problem that was created by his work. See if he can offer a remedy by a procedure that you can easily perform yourself. or if he is willing to remedy the problem created.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 23, 2023 1:27 pm

Reviewing this thread, I noticed that the original cable had "snapped." This suggests that perhaps there was too much resistance in the shift mechanism in the engine, causing the remote control cable to be subjected to too much compression or too much tension when operating.

As a test, you could removed the engine cowling, disconnect the remote cable link to the shift level on the engine, and gauge the amount of force needed to be exerted onto the engine shift lever to cause the gear box to shift gears. If the force seems excessive, the problem with the shift now seeming to be "too tight" may not have anything to do with the remote control or cables, but rather may be due to some problem in the actual gear case itself.