2001 Evinrude 150-HP FICHT Shakes and Vibrates, Won't Start

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Goldfishy2

2001 Evinrude 150-HP FICHT Shakes and Vibrates, Won't Start

Postby Goldfishy2 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:29 am

The oil tank on a 2001 Evinrude 150-HP FICHT engine was at full. The engine showed a red alarm lamp at an engine speed of 3,000-RPM. When engine speed was reduced the red alarm lamp extinguished and an aural alarm stopped sounding. Then, the engine began to shake and vibrate. The vibration could be felt in the remote shift-throttle controls. Then the engine shut down.

I suspected the 2001 Evinrude 150-HP FICHT engine was over-heating. The engine was allowed to cool for one hour. Then a re-start of the engine was attempted. The engine would not start. During engine cranking the engine sound was "fub-fub-fub." To return to port the boat had to be towed.

Later, a blue substance was found. See Figure 1.

blueStuff.Rot.jpg
Fig. 1. A blue substance found near the engine.
blueStuff.Rot.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 2018 times

I am guessing [the appearance of the blue sunstance is caused by] loose hose clamps, which may not have been properly tightened.

Or, maybe the oil hose is cracked.

Or, a maybe a fitting joining the oil hoses is broken.

I have concern about the shuddering and fib-fub-fub sound.

Q1: what is the [your assessment of the cause of the initial red alarm lamp, the fub-fub-fub sound, and the blue substance leak]?

I don’t want to risk ruining the engine.

jimh

Re: 2001 Evinrude 150-HP Shakes and Vibrates, Won't Start

Postby jimh » Wed May 24, 2023 5:30 am

I don't know what caused the red alarm lamp or the fub-fub-fub sound or the appearance of the blue substane, but the next step I would take is to remove the engine cowling and make a close visual inspection of the engine.

I don't understand where the "red alarm lamp" was located. Please explain further.

What is your guess at the nature of the blue substance seen in Figure 1?

Is that a two-stroke-power-cycle engine oil?