Is there water in my Hull

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spencer

Is there water in my Hull

Postby Spencer » Sat May 27, 2023 6:34 am

Q1: how can I determine if there is water in the hull [of my 1967 NAUSET 16 boat]?

Q2: is there a low intensity method to remove water from the hull?

Battery bracket pulled out revealing water in hull.

Bottom gel coat removed in 2005 and replaced with Interlux 1000/2000 bottom.

Bottom painted after.

Boat noticeably lighter after that work.

Thank you.

jimh

Re: Is there water in my Hull

Postby jimh » Sat May 27, 2023 8:04 am

Spencer wrote:Q1: how can I determine if there is water in the hull [of my 1967 NAUSET 16 boat]?

Your question is a frequently asked question. An answer to your frequently asked question has been prepared. Please read the prepared answer in the REFERENCE section of the WHALER section of the website in the FAQ section at QUESTION 2. Here is how to find the answer.

The WHALER section of the website it located at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler

The WHALER REFERENCE section is located at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference

The FAQ is located in the REFERENCE section of the WHALER section at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

The answer to your question is located at

Q3: Is there water in a Unibond hull?
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

Spencer wrote:Q2: is there a low intensity method to remove water from the hull?
The FAQ also answers this question. See above.

Spencer wrote:Battery bracket pulled out revealing water in hull.
I do not understand this comment.

Q3:What is a "battery bracket"?

Q4: What happened after you removed the item you call a "battery bracket"?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat May 27, 2023 12:02 pm

First off, there is moisture in the hull. It is expected in a hull that old. The question is how much and if is something that needs to be addressed.

With every Whaler, I first look at how the boat sits in the water with a full fuel load and no passengers. Where is the water line on the outside of the transom? Is the water line below, at, or above the splashwell drains.

Unless the boat sits very low in the water, there is no easy way to remove water. Ensuring the hull is sealed is the primary goal.

Unless in great condition, I replace the brass drain tubes when I acquire a classic Whaler. This allows inspection of the transom thickness.

I inspect every fastener in the hull. Remove each and reseal with sealant like LifeCaulk, not adhesive.

If there is a hole that is damp, use paper towels to dry as much as possible. Use a hairdryer to dry as much as practical. Reinstall fastener with sealant.

If the fastener hole is enlarged and too big for the screw, tape off the area, over drill the hole a bit, fill with epoxy (Locktite Marine Epoxy) then retap for screw.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Spencer

Postby Spencer » Sun May 28, 2023 3:02 pm

Thank you for your reply. Very nice

Re “battery brackets”: My battery box has a strap to hold down the top to the box and battery. A weaving stap is used and threads trough two brackets screwed to the deck floor. Keeps battery secure. I’ve decided to eliminate the brackets and plan on moving the battery to inside the console.

Thanks again. Spencer

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 29, 2023 6:38 am

The metal fittings on the deck through which the battery hold-down straps pass are called footman's loops.

I infer that when you removed a screw fastener that was retaining a footman's loop on the cockpit deck of your 1967 NAUSET 16, you saw water in the empty fastener hole. Please confirm.

Spencer

Postby Spencer » Mon May 29, 2023 8:10 am

jimh wrote:I infer that when you removed a screw fastener that was retaining a footman's loop on the cockpit deck of your 1967 NAUSET 16, you saw water in the empty fastener hole. Please confirm.
When I removed the footman’s loops there was visible water.

The battery is currently located in aft part of the boat. I plan to move the battery to be inside the center console

Phil T wrote:Where is the water line on the outside of the transom?
The boat appears to sit on its normal water line.

Thank you to everyone for these replies.