Moving 1968 Nauset bow eye

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
tuxis1

Moving 1968 Nauset bow eye

Postby tuxis1 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:51 am

I am in the middle of redoing my 1968 Nauset and will be painting the interior and topsides using Totalboat fairing compound, Totalboat 2 part epoxy primer, and Totalboat wet edge topside paint. All are from Jamestown Distributors. I have removed all hardware and it came off surprisingly easily.

The bow eye on these older hulls is right at the waterline which makes the boat ride well at the mooring, but is very difficult to reach from inside the boat. At some point, maybe when the Montauk came out and the smirk was added, the bow eye was raised up away from the waterline and I am thinking of moving mine to a spot jut above the locker seat on the inside and about a foot higher along the keel on the outside.

I regularly use the towing/lifting eyes to lift my boat into the water with a single point lifting rig. I'd be curious as to whether there would be any change in the strength of my new lifting point in the bow versus the old one.