Montauk 1977 Center Console Repairs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Terrible1stebs

Montauk 1977 Center Console Repairs

Postby Terrible1stebs » Fri May 20, 2016 9:23 am

Hello all, I have a 1977 Montauk and the center console has come apart from the top of the deck. First off, I thought it was the 5 screws on each side of the console that were stripped, some of them are and some are not. After taking the screws out, along with the trim, i lifted the console up and found out that one piece of teak on each side of the console that attaches it to the deck of the boat has completely been stripped and is barley even attached to the fiberglass deck. My question is what should i do to go about fixing it? there seems to be wood under the screw holes but its all rotted out. should i drill out the holes and put fiberglass in them and re-sink the screws? or should i redo new holes and fill in the old ones with epoxy?
Also, when i took the two teak pieces off there was glue as well holding it down (one side was on in good strength, while the other wasn't even attached) what time of glue would be best when putting the pieces back on after fixing the holes?
Thanks for the help, Can post photos shortly once i get to my shop.
Nick