1992 OUTRAGE 22 Re-power: Engine Brand and Model Reliability

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Tikioutrage

1992 OUTRAGE 22 Re-power: Engine Brand and Model Reliability

Postby Tikioutrage » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:11 pm

On my 1992 OUTRAGE 22 a 20-year-old 225-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine needs replacement. The boat makes long offshore runs for angling.

I am concerned about the weight of a 225- to 250-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine, but I like the performance of the boat with that much power.

Nearby there are good service shops specializing in Yamaha and Suzuki brands.

The old 225-HP engine weighs about 485-lbs. [Nota been: the octothorpe symbol is NOT used for avoirdupois pound weight.]

The Suzuki shop recommends a 200-HP engine with 530-lbs weight. Based on the shop's performance data, the 200-HP engine will push the boat to a top speed of 41-nautical-miles-per-hour, [and the engine fuel consumption at cruise speed will be] very economical.

The lightest 225- or 250-HP engine looks like the Yamaha SHO at 505-lbs dry weight.

I think the better service shop nearby is Suzuki, but I'm unsure about [reducing to 200-HP from 225-HP].

Please give me input on the dependability of outboard engines by brand and model, based on first hand experience and observations.

ASIDE: This site is an outstanding resource. Thank you for providing it.

Phil T

Re: 1992 OUTRAGE 22 Re-power: Engine Brand and Model Reliability

Postby Phil T » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:44 pm

For owners re-powering with engines that increase the engine weight, simulate the proposed new weight on the boat prior to making a purchasing decision. Add bags of sand or jugs of water so the new weight is in the stern. Drive the boat and observe its handling--not acceleration--n different sea conditions and at rest. Mark the new waterline on the transom.

Simulate the Suzuki 200 in-line four at 530-lbs, and the Yamaha F200 in-line four at 489-lbs.

Note the Yamaha 225 is a V6 and not worth the weight gain. The performance boost between a 200 and a 225 will not be significant.

All brands have a decent 200-HP engine. The big difference is the rigging features, gauge displays, and mechanical vs [electrical] setups. Note the new features are expensive compared to the analog days.

Cost out each motor with detailed prices for each component: engine, propeller, harness(s) display(s), remote control head, keyswitch, installation, water testing, and sales tax. A dealer that does not provide a detailed line-item estimate should [not] get your business. Period.

The Suzuki will be significantly cheaper.

Shop a new engine like a car. Don't trust the words; get it in writing. Don't fall for sales tactics.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Tikioutrage

Re:1992 OUTRAGE 22 Re-power: Engine Brand and Model Reliability

Postby Tikioutrage » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm

Thank you Phil. The suggestion to add weight and see how the boat handles is a great one, but unfortunately the current motor is kaput, and is beyond economical repair.

Phil T

Re: Repower 1992 22 Outrage

Postby Phil T » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:28 pm

What is the static trim of the boat as it was?

Any photos showing the transom from ten feet away?

Where was the water line in relation to the engine splashwell drains?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Tikioutrage

Postby Tikioutrage » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:55 pm

The water line was typically just below or even with the splashwell drains.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Given the F200 is the same weight, you should be fine.

As for the Suzuki, it is only 40-lbs more. I doubt there will be a significant impact.

If the batteries are in the stern, you can move them to the console and the weight difference will be offset.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:38 am

I don't think there is any good information about the reliability or rate of failure or need for repairs on modern outboard engines by brand and model, other than anecdotal reports, which generally are only provided for engines that have suffered a problem. Making an inference about the the total population of a particular brand and model engine based on limited anecdotal reports has to be done with some skepticism, as there is often a lot of brand bashing done in boating forums.

Modern outboard engines are now generally sold with a factory warranty that covers the cost of repair of defects in manufacturing of the engine for at least three years, and in some cases those warranties have been extended during periods of sales promotion to as long as ten years.

Since you got 20 years of service from your current engine, I presume it was made in c.2000. I would anticipate and expect that any modern c.2020 outboard engine you bought would be able to deliver another 20-years of service. Service life is often more an outcome of proper care and use of the engine than in the inherent build quality. Brands with suspect build quality today are generally not long-lived in the modern marketplace.

With regard to the two brands you have specifically mentioned, Yamaha and Suzuki, I would expect the Yamaha engines to be priced higher than the Suzuki engines. Suzuki sales in the USA are probably limited by their dealer representation, as in some areas Suzuki engines are not very common. That you have a local dealer selling Suzuki engines is likely an indication they are also supported by the selling dealer in your area. Yamaha is a more established brand and has much wider dealership representation. It is also positioned as a premium brand and generally does not try to offer the lowest price, preferring to sell on its reputation for quality.

I do not have any first-hand experience with either Suzuki or Yamaha four-stroke-power-cycle engines in the 200- to 250-HP range. My observations are the cowling size of those engines, particularly at 250-HP, are enormous. And there is often substantially higher weight compared to legacy two-stroke-power-cycle engines.

Regarding transom weight on an OUTRAGE 22, those hulls were often fitted with twin engines. The hull is rated for 240-HP, so the boat could have been rigged with twin 115-HP engine. Older 115-HP engines would weigh about 300-lbs, so twins would have been about 600-lbs on the transom. On that basis I would not be overly concerned about the weight of a single four-stroke-power-cycle engine unless it exceeded 600-lbs.

I suspect that your 1992 OUTRAGE 22 boat has the full-width and shallow engine splash well instead of the much smaller and much deeper sink-type splash well in the center of the transom as seen on the orignal 22-foot hulls. If the splash well drains end up at the waterline or below, you could always plug the engine splash well drains and use a small pump to expel any water that came over the transom. This could help manage water in the splash well when offshore in some swell and trolling downsea.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:45 am

That boat was designed to handle twin 120hp outboards which means over 700-lbs [on the transom]. The weight of a 500 to 600-lbs engine should not be a concern.

If your engine weight now is 485-lbs, going to the Suzuki is [an increase in weight of] roughly the weight of one battery.

I personally favor Suzuki engine but both Yamaha and Suzuki engines are great. The Suzuki engine comes in white and has a better warranty.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

topwatrout

Postby topwatrout » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:56 pm

[Thread revived after nine months]
I have a 22-footer [of undesignated year and model] that in c.2019 was re-powered with a Suzuki DF200. The engine now has 400 hours. I am very pleased.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:25 am

That a new, modern outboard engine runs well for two seasons is not particularly unusual nor unexpected, and one should not make an inference on the reliability of the engine after only two seasons or 400-hours of use. Any engine manufacturer whose engines routinely exhibited problems or defects in the first two years of use or in the first 400-hours of use would probably be out of business by now.