1962 Currituck Re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
jmbreitinger

1962 Currituck Re-power

Postby jmbreitinger » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:08 am

I am re-powering my 1962 Currituck with a Yamaha 50-HP engine. Of all engines available in stock this seemed like the best value.

Q1: will I regret re-powering a 1963 CURRITUCK with a 50-HP engine?

BACKSTORY: The CURRITCUK hull is rated for 100-HP, and it used to have an Evinrude 60-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engine. When that engine was running, the boat felt about right. I use this boat as a runabout on a small freshwater lake in northern Wisconsin. A couple of times a year, I trailer it to other lakes for fishing. I will do more of that with a reliable engine that can troll slow.

I have 16 to 21-year old kids that are starting to use the boat. I definitely don't want to have the boat over-powered.

[Moved to PERFORMANCE for discussion. Changing an engine is not considered a repair or a modification--Moderator]

jimh

Re: 1962 Currituck Re-power

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:59 am

In 1975 Boston Whaler published a specification for the minimum power needed for a CURRITUCK 16: 40-HP would be the least power that will get the boat on plane with a very light load.

You have not identified the new Yamaha engine, but I will assume it is a four-stroke-power-cycle engine. These four-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines often do not have the same torque at lower engine speeds that a classic two-stroke-power-cycle engine would have, and as a result the boat might be slower to accelerate and achieve plane, particularly with several people aboard.

Regarding letting 16-to-21-year-old "kids" run the boat with a 50-HP: the boat will certainly not be over-powered, and if more than one person is aboard, the boat might seem a bit sluggish to get on plane.

If the engine you plan to get is a Yamaha F50, it is the same displacement as the F60 and F70 models: 1.0-liter. You can consider the engine as a "de-tuned 60-HP" engine, so it ought to be able to get the boat on plane; it just won't give you the top speed of a 60-HP or 70-HP.

Re the "best value" aspect: with engines the price is proportional to the horsepower. For the same weight and some more money, you could have a 70-HP on the transom. However, if you need an engine right now, finding an F70 in stock may be difficult. I think the F70 is very popular.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:33 am

If selling your Currituck is a future possibility it may not sell for as much with an engine slightly more powerful than the minimum recommeded by the manufacturer. The additional weight of a four stroke cycle engine may degrade the boat's overall performance.

I understand your reluctance to put a better performing boat under the control of 16- to 21-year-olds. If your youngsters have completed the USCG Auxiliary Safe Boating Course or the Power Squadrons similar course they will at least know the basics of safe boating. That, combined with the example you have provided over their lifetimes should go a long way toward reassuring you that they will be safe young boaters.
Butch

macfam

Postby macfam » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:57 pm

Around 1962, Boston Whaler offered that same hull with a Bearcat 55 engine. My neighbors had one in Megansett Harbor in North Falmouth, Cape Cod. We threw at least five kids in that new unsinkable boat and had a ball.

If I remember correctly, it ran adequately well with the Bearcat 55.

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 am

My sailing club runs a Yamaha 50 high-thrust model. We are very happy. This is our [third] 50-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine on this 1971 Currituck 16. For our purposes the 50-HP works out very well.

The top boat speed is just over 30-MPH with one aboard. The boat easily planes with four aboard.

The smaller gear case would gain 2-MPG.

jmbreitinger

Postby jmbreitinger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm

I appreciate the comments. After reflecting and doing some reading, I am going to spring for the F70 - they do have one in stock $1,600 more. I realize that I have never wished for less power in anything and, as I lifelong pilot, I agree that for cruising, running at a lower percentage of power provides better results all the way around.

It is pretty amazing to be able to feel okay about making this investment in a 61-year-old hull.

Duckmanreno

Postby Duckmanreno » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:51 pm

I think the F70 will be a much better option.
Curious if you can find one as I put a deposit down 5 months ago and still waiting for mine.
1974 Montuak
2021 Yamaha F70

jmbreitinger

Postby jmbreitinger » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:32 am

I called Hallberg Marine in Wyoming, Minnesota (just north of the Twin Cities), and they had stock of every model outboard engine I asked about.

I inquired about Honda and Yamaha outboard engines in the 50-HP to 70-HP range. HALLBERG MARINE got me in right away. I had [a new engine] installed and rigged in three days.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:31 pm

That's what in Minnesota they call "Minnesota Nice."

But you failed to tell us about the engine you chose, what brand, what model, what horsepower. what propeller, what sort of performance it produced on your propeller testing runs, and so on.