2011 220 Outrage 250-HP VERADO

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Hesnothere

2011 220 Outrage 250-HP VERADO

Postby Hesnothere » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:05 am

[With my 2011 210 OUTRAGE] I don't think the performance is close to the factory test data, nor is the boat speed close to the factory performance data.

Below is performance data I have collected on my own 220 OUTRAGE boat

2011 220 Outrage
2011 VERADO 250
14.7 x 16-pitch ENERTIA propeller, part number, 48-898992
Engine Mounting height: [Unclear, please use the recommended engine mounting height description method to confirm your engine mounting height. Your description sounds like the engine might be mounted one-hole-up from lowest.]
Canvas: T-Top
Hull has bottom paint
Fuel aboard 60-gallons
Crew weight 350-lbs
Full-throttle engine speed: 5,600 to 5,650, with trim set for no bow oscillation
Maximum boat speed: approximately 34 to 35-MPH
Water temp: 57-degrees- F
Air temp: 72-degrees-F

Please reply with sea trial test data of your 220 OUTRAGE boat. I plan to compile data on performance of the 220 Outrage with various engines, propellers, loads, options, and model years.

Phil T

Re: 2011 220 Outrage 250-HP VERADO

Postby Phil T » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:05 am

Q1: have you tested the speed in different water/wind/temperature settings over different days to verify the results presented?

If so, there is something clearly wrong.

Attached below is the factory performance report for your boat.

While the factory shows a WOT of 47, I would deduct 3 mph for bottom paint. While their testing is somewhat ideal, still leaves you 9 mph too low.

Your test data shows engine speed is 600-RPM low. On a Verado that is were the real speed is generated.

I would start with looking at the propeller--this step is free.

Q2: Is the hub starting to spin?

Q3: When in gear and engine off, can you turn the propeller by hand?

Q4: Are the bladed damaged?

[The cause of low engine speed at full throttle] could be a incorrect throttle position inside the engine.

220-Outrage-Performance-2011.jpg
220-Outrage-Performance-2011.jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 9614 times

Q5: Do you have any warnings?

Q6: Any codes reported on the ECU?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Hesnothere

Postby Hesnothere » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm

PHIL--thanks for your input.
Phil T wrote:Q1: have you tested the speed in different water/wind/temperature settings over different days to verify the results presented?
Observations [were made] over several weeks from warmer summer 77-degree-F water and warmer 90-degree-F air to present cooler temps.

Phil T wrote:Q2: Is the hub starting to spin? Q4: Are the bladed damaged?
The propeller looks good.

Phil T wrote:Q3: When in gear and engine off, can you turn the propeller by hand?
The propeller spins easily by hand with no rubs, clicks, or grinds. The hub slipping could cause low boat speed but not low engine speed.

There is no delay in responsiveness and [the boat accelerates rapidly] jumps up on plane.

Phil T wrote:Q5: Do you have any warnings?
There are no service codes or alarm beeps on the Smartcraft gauges.

Phil T wrote:Q6: Any codes reported on the ECU?
[A certified Mercury] mechanic just checked over [the VERADO 250 engine]. [Engine run time is] 215 hours. [There were no stored service] codes.

[The engine has recently had] new plugs, new coils, new oils, and a water pump [installed].

[There are] no injector problems. A cylinder drop test [did not reveal any] problems.

Q7: can the DTS throttle somehow be limiting engine speed?

Q8: how [can the DTS throttle movement be] checked?

Q9: how [can the DTS throttle movement be] reset or change?

Q10: how [can I perform a] test [of] the throttle position [as you mention]?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:39 pm

If a mechanic looked over the VERADO 250-HP engine, I would put [your questions] to them. [Ask the mechanic] If everything is in top shape, why is the engine not hitting WOT with factory settings.

Don't blame the boat. Your engine should be running top notch. After all the money and parts it's not.

While I am not a Verado mechanic, I would think hooking it up to the [diagnostic] computer should be able to show whether the throttle settings (it is electronic, not mechanical) are within acceptable values at WOT.

The VeradoClub website was full of Verado gurus but it has gone into the ether.

There is a Verado Owners private group on Facebook.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Hesnothere

Re: 220 Outrage 220 with 250-HP VERADO

Postby Hesnothere » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:11 pm

I would expect a certified mechanic to resolve [all VERADO engine problems], but I also don't want to become their floating ATM.

I ran the boat and looked at the height of the A-V plate while on-plane and at speed. I could never see the A-V plate. There is a lot of white water between the engine and transom, even when the engine is trimmed out. I think the engine may be mounted too low--as I mentioned in the initial post.

Q12: how are other 220 Outrages are configured?

I will remove the ENERTIA propeller and have it scanned to determine if the propeller is true.

jimh

Re: 220 Outrage performance variations

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am

Hesnothere wrote:Q7: can the DTS throttle somehow be limiting engine speed?
Yes

Hesnothere wrote:Q8: how [can the DTS throttle movement be] checked?
Remove the engine cowling. On the engine throttle body, visually observe the position of the throttle plate when the remote control is placed at full throttle position. The throttle plate should be fully open.

Hesnothere wrote:Q9: how [can the DTS throttle movement be] reset or change?
There is very likely a procedure included in the VERADO factory maintenance manual or the factory installation and rigging manual to set the throttle movement range.

There may be both a mechanical adjustment and an electronic adjustment for the throttle linkage and the range of the motion arc.

In order to change the electronic adjustment the use of proprietary software and specialized electronic tools made by Mercury and sold only to their dealers will be necessary. I recall the Mercury diagnostic electronic set is very expensive, close to $10,000 I believe. I suspect that only an authorized Mercury dealer with a VERADO engine service department with VERADO factory-trained technicians and which has invested in the specialized hardware would be able to perform this sort of adjustment. Generally a Mercury engine service shop must have invested significantly into the VERADO platform to be able to offer good service for that engine.

Hesnothere wrote:Q10: how [can I perform a] test [of] the throttle position [as you mention]?
See reply at Q8.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:54 am

Hesnothere wrote:Q12: how are other 220 Outrages are configured?
I would expect that most owners of a 2011 220 OUTRAGE with a VERADO 250-HP engine are probably using the propeller provided by Boston Whaler, the 14-3/4 x 16-pitch ENERTIA as shown in the factory boat test report.

Q13: exactly what other parameters are you seeking to discover in your inquiry about how other boats are configured?

Q14: Since the boat and engine date from 2011, is this problem with poor boat speed something that just occurred recently, or has the boat always exhibited the maximum boat speed of 35-MPH and the maximum engine speed of 5,650-RPM?

Q14: Are you the original purchaser of the boat?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:04 am

I have another very important question for you:

Q15: Are you certain you are measuring the boat speed in units of statute miles per hour (MPH)?

If your test data for speed of "35" were in nautical-miles-per-hour, then the conversion to MPH would be 40.3-MPH for an engine speed of 5,650-RPM.

Interpolating the Boston Whaler performance data, their test boat was able to reach 40.3-MPH when the engine accelerated to 5,650-RPM.

In other words, if we assume your measured speeds were in nautical-miles-per-hour, your reported boat speed is identical to the Boston Whaler reported boat speed at an engine speed of 5,650-RPM.

Please confirm the unit of speed you are using for the boat speed data.

I also notice that in your test report of the single data point for boat speed and engine speed at maximum throttle, you mention that the engine trim is configured to suppress bow oscillation. From that comment I infer the engine trim was set to hold down the bow. This trim setting may also be a factor in limiting the engine speed to only 5,650-RPM.

If you look at the graph on the Boston Whaler test report, you see that the slope of the curve of boat speed as a function of engine speed begins to have a faster rise once the boat speed gets over 40-MPH. This faster increase in boat speed with engine speed occurs because as the boat speed increases the hull wetted surface will decrease. There is less hull in the water so there is less drag. As PHIL mentioned earlier, often the last few MPH of top speed occurs in the very last few hundred RPM of engine speed.

The engine TRIM setting will also be a big factor in those last few miles-per-hour of boat speed.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:04 am

The factory rigging of the engine height is for the top engine bolts to be in the second hole down from the top. This is often referred to as "one-hole up."
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:28 am

Phil T wrote:The factory rigging of the engine height is for the top engine bolts to be in the second hole down from the top. This is often referred to as "one-hole up."
I am sure you are correct, but I do not see the engine mounting height specified in the Boston Whaler test report. Did I miss it?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:38 am

No. Personal observation.

I have seen new Outrage 220's at a Boston Whaler dealer.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 pm

Regarding the performance of the two boats under discussion, first the Boston Whaler boat in the Boston Whaler test report, and the second the 2011 220 OUTRAGE owned by the initiator of this discussion, the two boats have the same engine and propeller.

The propeller is the ENERTIA propeller from Mercury. It seems the raison d'etre for selecting an ENERTIA is to extract a boat speed increase at engine full-throttle compared to a more conventional propeller. (The comparison propeller used in much of Mercury's promotional literature was the very highly regarded MIRAGEplus three-blade propeller.)

The ENERTIA propeller is made from an unusual alloy of stainless steel that is noted as permitting the propeller blades to be cast thinner than other stainless steel alloys used in other propellers would allow. The characteristic the ensues from thinner propeller blades is assumed to be an ability to be turned in the water more easily.

The reports from comparisons of ENERTIA propellers to other similar stainless steel propellers of the same marked pitch is the engine will be able to turn the propeller at a higher speed, while the propeller will provide the same efficiency at producing thrust. The typical report about ENERTIA propellers is they allowed a particular engine on a particular boat to produced a higher boat speed by a margin of 2 to 3-MPH when at the very maximum engine speeds permitted. Because this difference occurs only at the engine's maximum permitted engine speed, Mercury makes the ENERTIA in pitch increments of only one-inch to permit very fine tuning of the propeller load so as to let the engine accelerate to its very highest allowed speed but not over.

The analysis of the cause of the difference between the factory boat speed at WOT and the customer's boat speed at WOT really comes down to the difference in engine speed. If the customer's boat is going to match the factory's boat in WOT boat speed, the VERADO must be able to accelerate to the same very high engine speed in both boats, to 6,275-RPM. The customer's VERADO engine tops out at 5,650-RPM, or 625-RPM slower.

There are only a few possible causes of the engine speed difference:
  • the customer's 250-HP VERADO is not able to make 250-HP for any number of reasons
  • the engine trim setting in the customer's sea trial was not optimized for best boat speed, or
  • the ENERTIA propeller has some defect,

The customer's engine has been serviced by qualified technicians, but there remains some uncertainty about the remote throttle control being able to move the engine throttle plate to fully open. This should be checked

The trim setting of the engine during full-throttle speed runs should be optimized by trimming out the engine and observing boat speed. Trim for maximum boat speed at maximum throttle. Usually the engine trim setting is started at a low setting, and trim is moved to higher settings while boat speed is observed. Adjust trim for fastest boat speeds. That trim setting might also be a setting that induces some bow oscillation. That condition exists in many hull designs. (It does on my boat. I can only hit the ultimate highest speeds if I want to tolerate bow oscillation.)

There could be a possibility that the particular ENERTIA propeller under test has a defect. Repeating the performance testing with a different ENERTIA propeller or even with any different propeller might reveal a defect in the ENERTIA propeller under test.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:32 pm

Below I have calculated the SLIP value for some of the performance data mentioned in this discussion.

For the factory test data:
--WOT at 6275-RPM and 47-MPH boat speed, SLIP= 8.5. This is an entirely reasonable and expected value.

--my interpolated test data for that boat at 5650 RPM and 40.3-MPH, SLIP = 12.9. This is also a entirely reasonable and expected value.

For the customer's boat from customer's test data:
--WOT at 5650 and 35-MPH boat speed, SLIP = 24.2. This value is far out of expected range.

For the customer's boat with customer's test data ("35") interpreted as nautical-miles-per-hour
--WOT at 5650 and 35-nautical-miles-per-hour boat speed, SLIP = 12.9. This value matches exactly with the factory test report data.

Based on this analysis, if the customer's test data was reported in nautical-miles-per-hour, the propeller performance looks normal; the engine is just not making power.

If the the customer's test data was actual miles-per-hour, the propeller performance is not normal, but the engine is still 625-RPM below its expected engine speed at WOT.

Has the mystery been solved?

Hesnothere

Postby Hesnothere » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:21 am

Jim and Phil,
Thanks for all the information. The current weather has me on the hill for a few days so I cannot run any tests.

Let me answer questions:

The 2011 220 OUTRAGE was a used boat that I bought in September 2021. The VERADO engine has only 185-hours run time, and of those only 0.2-hours were above 5,500-RPM and zero hours were above 6,000-RPM. The previous owner rarely ran the engine above 4.500-RPM, as evident in the engine history report.

The boat owner's manual states engine mounting position should be “one hole up” and offered a diagram. The engine is installed one-hole-up.

The SPEED OVER GROUND was measured from [GNSS] with a Garmin 742 chartplotter. The displayed speed unit was "MPH", but I will double check that the speed over ground was measured in statute miles as opposed to nautical miles.

The ENERTIA propeller is on its way to a propeller shop to be scanned.

The mystery continues.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:01 am

The engine usage report is not good.

20hrs a year is l..o..w usage.

Engines do not like to sit. They do not like to be run at low rpms for long periods of time.

They need to be run hard from time to time to get the engine temps up high and burn any deposits. They are designed for this. Many mechs have said, every run you do, take 5 minutes and run the engine at WOT.

Few run hours over a long time.
Engine run at low speed. Barely above plane.

It is not the prop.

I think the engine will need to be brought in to a factory certified (important) Verado mech.

Explain engine usage and service history.

Provide him performance report from factory and your results. Have him join you for an on-water test.

It may be expensive but Verado's are very sophisticated engines, hence the factory-certified mech, and is often beyond the average mech's skill level.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Hesnothere

Postby Hesnothere » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Getting closer.
Prop scan indicated a problem with one of the blades.
They are going correct and tune the prop and I will test again in a week.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 pm

When you conduct another performance test, be sure to set the engine trim to trim out for maximum boat speed.

I don't think that a standard production grade propeller having one blade whose pitch or other characteristics are slightly off is particularly unusual. If you want a propeller to "lab-finished" dimensions and surfaces, it usually costs extra, often as much as the production propeller cost.

Hesnothere

Postby Hesnothere » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:10 pm

I spoke with a Mercury representative over the weekend and they offered some help. When I get the propeller tuned and reinstalled, I have a series of engine speed and boat speed data to collect and to submit to Mercury.

Some mild weather will be needed so I can test.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:39 am

When collecting performance data, recording the engine speed and boat speed at different throttle settings is recommended over just one data point at full-throttle. When you plot the data on a graph showing boat speed as a function of engine speed, trends can be better seen.

That you contacted Mercury customer support and they expresses interest in solving your problem is a good step towards a solution.

Hesnothere

Postby Hesnothere » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:49 pm

Mercury said to plot boat speed from 2000 RPM to WOT in 50 RPM increments. They also want pictures of the engine and transom.

I actually spoke face to face with a Mercury rep at a boat show over the weekend. He was most helpful and interested to resolve the boat speed deficiency on my boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:47 pm

You must mean 500-RPM increments. If Mercury told you to test in 50-RPM increments they were sending you on a wild goose chase.

Buoy

Postby Buoy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:46 pm

I have a 2011 220 Outrage with 250 Verado, and its top boat speed is 44-MPH. The 220 OUTRAGE hull has bottom paint.

Initially we trimmed the VERADO 250 engine to level "7" on the Smartcraft gauge to allow the engine to accelerate to 6,300-RPM and produce a boat speed of 42.5-MPH.

In 2021 the engine was raised two-holes; now the maximum trim level is "5", and the engine accelerates to the same 6,300-RPM as before but the boat speed is now 44-MPH [an increase in top boat speed of 1.5-MPH].

Q16: what is the engine idle speed of the VERADO 250 on the boat under discussion?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:49 am

Hesnothere wrote:...I plan to compile data on performance of the 220 Outrage with various engines, propellers, loads, options, and model years.

A month has passed since you announced your plan to collect data on the performance of the 220 OUTRAGE boat with various engine, propellers, options, and model years.

Q17: have you made any progress on this project?

Also, regarding collecting performance data, on your own boat you have published only ONE performance datum, the engine speed and boat speed at full-throttle. Perhaps as a start to your collection you could publish more comprehensive data on the performance of your own boat. A report similar to the Boston Whaler factory performance report with information on fuel flow rate, engine speed, and boat speed at many throttle settings would be a good place to start.

Hesnothere

Postby Hesnothere » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:04 pm

With a new propeller, the 250-HP VERADO] engine was [tested again and was found to be able to accelerate to] 150-RPM [higher maximum speed].

When I have chance to run an on-water performance test again in a few weeks and log some numbers, I will post them.

About the engine height: I agree [with whatever was said about the mounting height]. I’ve been looking at [engine mounting height].

I made a recording of the engine when running the older propeller. The recording shows the anti-ventilation plate.

I think [the engine mounting height is] too low, even though the mounting height is set to factory specs.

Also, [the boat tends to] list to Port--which I think is caused by propeller torque.

I think [the tendency for the boat to list to Port] can be improved by raising the engine.

[Is the tendency for a boat to list to port a common experience among boaters?]

ASIDE: Sorry for the delay in replying. A propeller shop destroyed my old propeller, and I had to buy another. In no uncertain terms the proprietor let me know that “these little props don’t mean anything to [him], these big ones do.” If only his last sentence to me were his first sentence to me, I would have found another propeller shop.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:22 am

Torque steer is a thing but let's not get distracted.

Performance testing needs to be controlled and methodical. You want to keep all the variables fixed and only change one at a time.

For example:

Replace prop

Test (standard load, fuel, typical weather)

Analyze results.

Raise engine.

Retest using same load, weather as above)

Analyze results.

Change engine trim tab

Retest.

Don't change two variables at one time.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:29 pm

My Boston Whaler boat always tends to lean into any crosswind. My Boston Whaler boat is powered by a single standard-rotation engine of 225-HP. I have tested over a dozen propellers, and I have never noticed that a particular propeller was causing a tendency to lean to port.

I don't notice a pronounced tendency for the boat to always lean to Port when underway at higher engine power. The boat routinely exhibits a slight tendency to lean into a crosswind, and this is easily corrected by a slight shift in the position of the helmsman in the direction opposite to the leaning direction.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:33 pm

Hesnothere wrote:...With a new propeller....
Without knowing anything about the new propeller, such as its make, model, and dimensions, a report that the new propeller affected maximum engine speed is difficult to interpret. Please give readers the make model and dimensions of "the new propeller."

Hesnothere wrote:About the engine height: I agree....
Please be more specific about what you are in agreement with that was said previously. Otherwise readers will have to re-read the entire thread in order to attempt to figure out what statements you are agreeing with.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:39 pm

ASIDE: By re-reading the thread again after six weeks had lapsed since I initially read it, I was able to deduce (perhaps correctly) that "the propeller" involved in the propeller shop's destruction was an ENERTIA propeller.

By my reckoning, an ENERTIA propeller has a cost of about $600 or more.

Did the propeller shop operator offer you any compensation for his destruction of a $600 propeller?

Also, the ENERTIA propeller is described by Mercury as simultaneously possessing the qualities of higher strength than other stainless steel propellers and also having the ability to deflect or flex without damage.

What operation was attempted on the ENERTIA propeller that caused it to be destroyed?