ENERTIA 21 Pitch Propeller Diameter

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Mark182628

ENERTIA 21 Pitch Propeller Diameter

Postby Mark182628 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:37 pm

Q1: What is the diameter of an ENERTIA 21-pitch propeller [that fits the gearcase of a 2021 Mercury 115-HP Command Thrust engine]?

BACK STORY
I have a [1999--always use four digits for years] Dauntless 16, and I just installed a 2021 Mercury 115-HP FOURSTROKE with CommandThrust gear case.

[From reading a prior discussion on a similar boat and engine, I have deduced there was a] consensus of opinion [about a propeller indicating to use] an ENERTIA 21-pitch propeller.

jimh

Re: ENERTIA 21 Pitch Propeller Diameter

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm

When the manufacturer and the model and the pitch of a propeller are specified, the propeller is generally only made in one diameter.

In the case of the Mercury ENERTIA propellers, you can find the diameter of the 21-pitch model from a listing at

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/ ... -8m0151243

to be 13.6-inches.

To verify if this propeller is able to fit a specific Mercury engine, you can use their propeller selector:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/pro ... !/step-one

Among propellers designed for outboard engines, to find that one could choose any particular diameter in a particular propeller model and pitch would be very unusual, if actually possible at all.

The ENERTIA 21-pitch may give good results based on the anecdotal reports mentioned. In any propeller testing, the best option is to enter into a bargain with the propeller vendor to be allowed to test a propeller and to permit it to be returned in trade for a different choice in the event the initial choice does not deliver all that was promised.

Mark182628

Postby Mark182628 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I wasn’t sure if the dealer would allow prop testing as I didn’t know if they would have a problem to sell the undesired ones.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:55 pm

Typically if you bought a boat and engine from a particular dealer and you were not satisfied with the performance of the boat and engine with the propeller that was supplied when you bought the boat, the dealer would be willing to permit you to sea trail another propeller, as long as the original propeller was in perfect condition.

A propeller run for a few hours usually will have no damage; it might have some exhaust residue on the propeller hub from the passage of engine exhaust through the hub, but that can be easily removed with a strong solvent.

There is no guarantee that all dealers will cooperate in propeller testing. If you buy a propeller from a dealer, you should establish the ground rules about sea trials before you buy the first propeller.

A dealer who sells engines and propellers often maintains an inventory of test propellers, and will let you conduct sea trials with his test propellers at no additional cost, other than perhaps to secure the understanding that at the end of the trials you will buy a propeller from him, which is often established by you paying for the propeller before the trials begin.