2007 235 CONQUEST Re-power

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Foulweather Jack

2007 235 CONQUEST Re-power

Postby Foulweather Jack » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:03 am

My 2007 235 CONQUESTConquest 235 has a Mercury 250 VERADO FOURSTROKE manufactured in 2006 with about 640 hours run time. The engine has been unreliable on a few occasions. A re-powering may be needed.

Q1: what are valid statistics for the useful working hours of a VERADO engine?

Q2: should I stick with Mercury for a re-power engine?

Q3: would changing to a different engine brand, for example to a Yamaha engine, give an atvantage?

Q4: what will be the cost of re-powering a 2007 235 CONQUEST?

I think the cost to buy a new boat will be greater than the cost to re-power my current boat. I do like my current boat.

Please give me practical advice.

Jefecinco

Re: 2007 235 CONQUEST Re-power

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:44 am

I have not seen any published data on specific life spans on any outboard engines. I believe 640 hours would be considered low, especially for a 2006 model year Verado. Given the cost of new engines and the almost one year wait to acquire one I would have the engine checked out by a Certified Verado Technician. If your boat is on a trailer getting it to a certified tech is simplified. Getting one to a marina could be a bit more difficult. With proper maintenance your Verado should provide hundreds, if not thousands, of additional hours of reliable use.

If you repower the choice of engine is pretty much a matter of brand preference, all are very reliable. I suspect your Verado may be equipped with power steering and electronic shift and throttle controls. I doubt those systems are transferable to another engine brand. If you change brands that will be another cost factor.

Only a dealer can provide a reliable cost estimate to repower.

You are certainly correct in assuming the cost of a new comparable boat would be more expensive than a repower. The least cost course of action for you is the maintenance of you current engine.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:46 am

Foulweather Jack wrote:Q1: what are valid statistics for the useful working hours of a VERADO engine?
I do not believe there are are any valid data available about the useful working hours expected for any particular engine, other than anecdotal reports from individual engine owners.

A VERADO engine built in 2006 would be a first generation model. Soon afterwards Mercury made a number of improvements and made the second generation VERADO engine.

In c.2006 a rating of 250-HP on a VERADO was typical. The maximum power then was perhaps only 275 or 300. Subsequently the VERADO in-line six-cylinder engines were further enhanced to be rated for as much as 450-HP. On that basis one would infer that operating the engine at a restricted power of only 250-HP would engender long service life.

On the other hand, an engine made in 2006 is now 16-years-old and may need some repairs.

The description of “unreliable” does give a need for concern. Any time a single-engine-boat’s engine is deemed unreliable there will be anxiety about the engine.

To cure the anxiety and unreliable operation by buying a new engine is certainly an option, although perhaps an expensive cure.

Foulweather Jack wrote: Q2: should I stick with Mercury for a re-power engine?
If all or most of the engine rigging can be reused by buying another Mercury engine, there could be a cost savings. Investigate carefully what rigging components of the current VERADO engine could be reused, such as
  • the proprietary DTS electronic remote shift and throttle controls,
  • the proprietary electro-hydraulic power steering helm, pumps, lines, and actuator,
  • the proprietary Smartcraft engine instrumentation, and
  • the propeller and hub kit in use now.
There could be significant cost saving in a re-power by reusing all the 2006 rigging, but then you may be bringing very old rigging to the new engine. The gremlins that made the old engine unreliable may have been due to the old rigging, negating the value of a new engine.

Foulweather Jack wrote: Q3: would changing to a different engine brand, for example to a Yamaha engine, give an advantage?
The notion of an “advantage” has many realms. If you meant “more reliable” we again do not have any data available. The biggest advantage that might occur with another brand might just be working with a different dealer whom you find to be more helpful or more cooperative or more available for service or more eager to have you as a new customer.

Foulweather Jack wrote:Q4: what will be the cost of re-powering a 2007 235 CONQUEST?
At today’s prices, a new 250-HP engine might cost $25,000. All new steering, remote controls, instrumentation might cost $5,000. Removing the old engine, all the old rigging, installing the new engine and all its new rigging could cost several thousand in labor charges. On water testing and propeller optimization will add more costs, and at the least perhaps $700 to $800 for a new propeller and new hub kit.

The cost of a new engine will be offset by the proceeds of selling the old engine, or from a trade-in value. The current value of a 2006 VERADO 250-HP engine with a history of being unreliable is unknown to me. The value could also depend on your location and the presence of a Mercury dealer who sells and supports the in-line six-cylinder supercharged VERADO engines and other VERADO owners in your area looking for a used VERADO engine.

Foulweather Jack

Postby Foulweather Jack » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:42 am

Thank you for your comprehensive replies: this information is very helpful to me.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:51 pm

I would proffer the opinion that a some degree of the trouble your engine experienced was due to non-use.

As for repowering, there are several factors to be aware of.

Today's offerings include more bells and whistles so reusing existing rigging, cables, gauges, and harnesses is no longer an option. This makes staying with the same brand less appealing.

Engine availability has improved greatly in recently months but some higher horsepower models have limited availability.

Prices have soared due to demand, supply chain problems, and inflation.

Obtaining detailed quotes from several dealers from Mercury, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda is advised. Verify timeline for engine delivery and installation. If you do move forward, lock in the price (with a deposit) and in writing. Some owners were hit with a significant price increase at the time of engine delivery.

Ballpark pricing for a 250-HP engine is $30,000 to $35,000 for the engine and $3,000 to $4,000 for basic rigging.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003