2020 210 Dauntless

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Saildoc

2020 210 Dauntless

Postby Saildoc » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:57 am

I just took delivery of a used 2020 210 Dauntless with a hard top with a 2020 Mercury 200-HP V6 FOURSTROKE with run time of 154 hours. Before buying the boat there was a survey and sea trial. Some performance reports [later identified as the Boston Whaler factory performance report] for this model report a top boat speed of 47-MPH at an engine speed of 5800-RPM.

My operation of the boat with a full fuel tank and two people aboard resulted in a best boat speed on smooth water of 42-MPH at 5300-RPM engine speed.

The Mercury 200-HP engine starts well. The engine has plenty of power and torque.

Q1: what is a reason why it is not “opening up” “all the way”?
Q2: is this typical performance for this set up?

I think the engine is under warranty. I plan to take in the engine for service.

Replies from other owners of a 2020 210 DAUNTLESS with a Mercury 200-HP engine will be useful. Thanks in advance
Last edited by Saildoc on Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jefecinco

Re: New to me 2020 210 Dauntless

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:36 am

The sources for the test speed you mention may not be reliable. Boston Whaler reports test date on their website. That is probably the best source for test data for your model and power.

I believe tests may not be on a 210 with a hardtop. A hard top will reduce top speed due to its weight and wind resistance. Fuel and passenger load affect weight and speed. Climatic and sea conditions are other factors to consider. Boat testing by Boston Whaler are probably done under optimum conditions in fresh water.

Assuming your boat engine and propeller are original equipment you should likely see a higher RPM at WOT if the engine is at the normal operating temperature. Operating the engine at the optimum trim setting is required to see the best result. If the engine is trimmed "in" too much it will result in a lower RPM and WOT speed. If trimmed "out" too much it will result in porpoising. It can take a little practice to find the right trim setting for your boat.

Before seeking warranty service for your boat I would test it again with close attention to trim settings.
Butch

jimh

Re: 2020 210 Dauntless

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Saildoc wrote:Q1: what is a reason why [the unidentified Mercury 200-HP engine] is not “opening up” “all the way”?
I interpret your question to be

Q1a: why can’t the engine on my boat accelerate at full-throttle to 5,800-RPM like the engine on some other boat did in some report under some unknown circumstances?

The answer is there are a dozen reasons—if not more.

To get identical outcomes, EVERYTHING must be identical.

Boat speed is always in proportion to power divided by weight and hull form and propeller.

If hull form and weight and propeller are identical, then less power causes the boat speed to be lower.

Less power can be caused by
  • the throttle never got to full
  • the air was warmer
  • the humidity was higher
  • the air was not as dense due to altitude
  • the fuel contained less energy potential
  • the engine on your boat is not producing the same horsepower as the engine on another boat tested due to your engine being in a state of poor tune for a myriad of causes.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm

You must be are making reference to the factory performance report shown below. The factory performance test report is a marketing piece.

210DauntlessPerfReport.jpg
Fig. 1. A portion of a Boston Whaler performance report for a boat similar to the boat under discussion.
210DauntlessPerfReport.jpg (191.45 KiB) Viewed 3416 times

Pay close attention to the test details:
  • the test boat has only 20-lbs of gear; Your boat most likely has an anchor, chain, and rode that weighs more than that. Also include any personal items, cooler, gear, tools, etc.;
  • the test boat had 0-gallons of water; your boat?
  • the test boat had 42-gallons of fuel; Your boat had 75-gallons;
  • the test boat did not have bottom paint;Your boat?
  • the test boat was in protected 80-degree water, no tide or current—ideal conditions; your boat?

Verify your propeller is the same supplied by the factory, an ENERTIA 14-3/4-inch x 16-pitch.

Verify you trimmed the engine as far as possible when you recorded the engine speed and boat speed. Failure to fully trim the engine will result in a loss of as much as 5-MPH boat speed.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Saildoc

Postby Saildoc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:06 am

Thank You PhilT.

It seems that my boat and engine are performing close to normal operating range.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:59 am

Saildoc wrote:It seems that my boat and engine are performing close to normal operating range.
The total boat weight in your test appears to have been heavier than the factory test boat weight. The expectation is for a reduction in maximum boat speed. To know precisely that the outcome of a loss of 5-MPH in top boat speed is normal and due entirely to added weight is speculative. Other factors could have contributed.

A better test will be duplicate as closely as possible the boat weight and test conditions of the factory test report, then compare engine speed and boat speed. Your boat should be able to closely match the factory boat if everything is “normal.”