Outrage 26 Leans At Higher Boat Speeds

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
Lionel

Outrage 26 Leans At Higher Boat Speeds

Postby Lionel » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 pm

Hello. I would like some advice. My Outrage 26 has twin Mercury VERADO 250-HP FOURSTROKE engines.

THE PROBLEM
The boat leans to one side [later mentioned as the Port side] as soon as the boat speed exceeds 25-nautical-miles-per-hour (about 28.2-MPH). This forces me to correct the lean by using trim tabs. If the boat speed increases, even with the trim tabs set to correct the lean, the boat leans more as the boat speed increases.

The initial [engine mounting height] of the twin VERADO engines was too high, and the OUTRAGE 26 boat behavior was very fickle.

After lowering the engine mounting height, the fickle behavior disappeared, but it was replaced by the tendency to lean to Port, which has become a real problem.

TWO QUESTIONS

Q1: is the cause of the lean to port at boat speeds in excess of 25-nautical-miles-per hour due to the engine mounting height?

Q2: is the cause of the lean to port at boat speeds in excess of 25-nautical-miles-per hour due to the propeller?

Phil T

Re: Outrage 26

Postby Phil T » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Please share photos showing the

- engine mounting height of both engines
- anodes above props.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Outrage 26 Leans At Higher Boat Speeds

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:42 pm

Q3: Are the twin engines a standard rotation and a counter-rotation pair?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:15 am

Supercharged Verado engines typically have anodes in the anti-ventilation plate above the propellers, but the anodes do not have the trim tab typical to most outboards, at least in single engine installations.

It would be helpful to know the mounting height before the engines were lowered and after they were lowered. I'm not familiar with twin engine installations, but have read that engine toe-in is an important aspect for optimum performance.
Butch

Lionel

Postby Lionel » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:48 pm

Thank you for your answers.

I have no photographs of the engines.

The OUTRAGE 26 is currently in the water.

These engines are two counter-rotating engines.

A possible cause [of the tendency for the boat to lean to Port at boat speeds greater than 25-nautical-miles-per-hour] would be a damaged FLO-TORQ propeller hub on one engine.

Q4: If [one engine has a damaged FLO-TORQ propeller hub] will continued use of the boat be dangerous?

Q5: should the boat be taken out [of the water] and [the FLO-TORQ hubs] checked?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:37 am

Lionel wrote:Q4: If [one engine has a damaged FLO-TORQ propeller hub] will continued use of the boat be dangerous?
A damaged resilient propeller hub coupling could fail further and cause more problems.

Lionel wrote:Q5: should the boat be taken out [of the water] and [the FLO-TORQ hubs] checked?
If you suspect that the resilient coupling in a FLO-TORQ hub has been damaged, you should inspect the hub.

To inspect the condition of a resilient propeller hub coupling like a Mercury FLO-TORQ, you should removed the propeller from the engine propeller shaft. Tap out the resilient plastic liner in the propeller hub. Inspect the plastic liner for wear or cracking or other damage.

Generally in any boat operation which employs a field-replaceable resilient propeller coupling, you should have on hand a replacement resilient coupling to use if there is damage to the coupling in use.

Note that there are many varieties of resilient hubs sold under the FLO-TORQ branding. You need to specify the particular model of FLO-TORQ in use with your boat.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:03 am

You should be able to visually inspect the Flo-Torq hubs with the boat in the water.

Q6: Is the boat kept in a slip or on a mooring?

Q7: Do you have a trailer for the boat?

Q8: How many engine mounting holes are visible above the engines?

Q9: How many were visible before lowering the engines?

If you don't recall where the engines were mounted before lowering them it can be deduced by examining the holes closely.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:48 am

Lionel wrote:These engines are two counter-rotating engines.
Please clarify your response. I am confused by your report that BOTH engines are counter-rotating models. To be more explicit, the normal engine rotation uses a right-hand propeller to create forward propulsion. A counter-rotating engine turns the propeller shaft in an opposite direction and uses a left-hand propeller to create forward propulsion.

To have TWO counter-rotating engines would be extremely unusual. I suspect there is a bit of misunderstanding or language barrier between us.

Lionel

Postby Lionel » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:07 pm

Je vous remercie pour vos réponses et je m'excuse des erreurs de vocabulaire qui portent à confusion , effectivement il ne s'agit donc pas d'hélice en contre rotation.
Après avoir examiné dans le détail les moteurs , les hélices et la coque ( en plongée ) ,j'ai trouvé le fautif !
Un corps étranger bloquait simplement un flap qui ne se relevait plus correctement.....
J'aurai du inspecter la coque avant de vous ennuyer avec ce problème .
Merci en tout cas de votre aide

Translated -

Thank you for your answers. I apologize for the confusing vocabulary error. The [engines] are not [both] counter-rotation.

After examining in detail the engines, propellers and hull by in diving, I found the culprit: a foreign body simply blocked a [trim tab] that no longer rose properly.

I should have inspected the [hull] before you were bored with this problem.

Thank you in any case for your help

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:54 am

Thanks for the follow-up that the cause of the boat to have a tendency to the lean to port was due to a some material that was blocking movement of the trim tabs.