Mid-Michigan Best Fuel Stop

Accounts of trips taken in Boston Whaler boats; organization of rendezvous for Boston Whaler boats
jimh

Mid-Michigan Best Fuel Stop

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:52 am

If you are towing your boat in Michigan you will probably be on Interstate-75 at some point. I recommend making a fuel stop at CHARLIE'S COUNTRY CORNER at Exit 251. It is just south of Grayling, and just north of the intersection where I-75 and US-27 join.

Charlie's is a very busy truck stop. It has over a dozen gasoline pumps and about that many diesel pumps. It has dedicated high-clearance (no roof) pumps so you can pull in with your boat trailer. It also sells pure gasoline-no-ethanol 89-Octane fuel, although there is only one pump that dispenses that grade; the pump can be awkward to get to if the station is really busy and cars have parked near the store.

They also have free high-pressure air with long rubber hoses so you can easily inflate your trailer tires.

And they operate a Certified Truck Scale--CAT Scale branding--so you can weigh your truck and trailer.

The store has a big section of truck-related gizmos, tools, tire gauges, etc.

The bathrooms have hand soap that will actually remove dirt and grime from your hands, too.

We just stopped there on our way south to get fuel for the truck and some no-ethanol fuel in the boat for winter storage.

And adjacent to Charlie's is a little take-out place selling barbeque and brisket.

It's a full service stopping point for boaters on the highway. There may be a few places with less expensive fuel prices, but Charlie's is quite handy and offers some additional features.

Don McIntyre - MI

Re: Mid-Michigan Best Fuel Stop

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:54 pm

I'll second this post. We fueled there on the way up to Indian River.

jimh

Re: Grand Traverse Bay Best Fuel Stop

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:24 pm

As a corollary to this topic, if you are heading toward Grand Traverse Bay, Michigan for some boating, a very good highway fuel station is the HOLIDAY fuel station on M-22 on the west side of Traverse City, close to Greilickville. They sell NO-ETHANOL 90-Octane pure gasoline at every pump. I bought some fuel there for the boat at $3.05/gallon a few days ago. Their store has a great selection of food, too, if you need a quick lunch. It is a busy station, so you will need some good luck to be able to pull right in with a boat on a trailer and find a completely open lane. The pump spacing is just right, and you can fill the boat and the car simultaneously from two pumps.

Buckda

Re: Mid-Michigan Best Fuel Stop

Postby Buckda » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Holiday in Gaylord also has ethanol free fuel, however, it is not convenient.

If you're heading back into Canada via Sault Ste. Marie, the Holiday on the Business Spur in Soo Michigan has ethanol free fuel at every pump for your buying pleasure before you enter Canada. It's a bit off the highway - past the Wal-Mart on the right - but it has easy access for trailered boats. A new KRIST station also has ethanol free premium however, I cannot recommend that location for trailered boats due to a very tight site.