Thousand Islands

Accounts of trips taken in Boston Whaler boats; organization of rendezvous for Boston Whaler boats
Dutchman

Thousand Islands

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 am

I took my Whaler to the 1,000-Island area twice, for a week, and, If you are lucky enough to have a Boston Whaler, you are even luckier to have a Whaler in the 1,000 Islands area. I love that area-- so much to explore. It is like the North Channel area off Lake Huron--so many nooks and crannies to explore in very shallow or very deep waters, great nature to explore, and always friendly people on either side of the international border. Only if the drive wasn't so long from Michigan.

[Moved from another thread on a different topic in a different forum--jimh]
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Re: North Channel better than 1,000-Islands

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:08 am

The problem I found with the 1,000-Island area is the frequent need to cross the international border and the attendant requirements to report to immigration and customs for entry by boat. When we went through there we tried to stay on one side of the border and not cross it very often. I don't think it compares with the North Channel and Georgian Bay--too many people in the 1,000-Islands, and also about 19,000 fewer islands to explore. But if you like to see large commercial ships going by, there is a lot of that traffic in the 1,000-Islands.

jimh

Re: Thousand Islands

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:01 pm

[Originally posted in reply to a now edited and since deleted post by a new participant in the forum that offered a comment and anecdotal advice about latest regulations regarding entry into Canadian water by recreational boaters:] If citing a change in Canadian policy for entry into their water by pleasure boaters, please give the effective date and link to a web site of their government where an official announcement can be found. This sort of reference to international regulation is more authoritative than an anecdotal mention by a individual boater.

Your information about rules for entry into Canada by boat are in conflict with the regulations mentioned as having changed around July 2017 in another thread whose topic is entering Canadian water; see

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2411

That thread describes in more detail the regulations as changed in 2017 and links to official sources.

I think you might be making allusion to those regulations but aren’t getting all the important details right.