NYC to Quebec via Hudson River

Accounts of trips taken in Boston Whaler boats; organization of rendezvous for Boston Whaler boats
PaulBuck

NYC to Quebec via Hudson River

Postby PaulBuck » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Hello, I've been posting in the old forum off and on for a few years and always found it a great resource. I'm planning a trip up the Hudson to Quebec this summer and I'm curious to hear everyone's recommendations and feedback on my proposed itinerary.

I currently own a 1987 Whaler Temptation 25' with an Evinrude E-TEC 300 hp and she cruises comfortably at 30-MPH. I boat out of Branford, Connecticut, and I've traveled the Hudson once before, back in 2013. On that trip, we traveled from Branford all the way to Kingston, New York, about 90-miles up the river. Considering conditions on the Hudson, in my experience, are ideal for cruising, I figure I can do about 90-miles per day (roughly three to fours hours cruising) and then stop for some sightseeing. However, I've never boated Lake Champlain, so I'm not sure I can keep up this pace if it's as choppy as I've read. This summer's trip is scheduled for July. Here's my proposed timeline:

FRI 7/1: Jersey City, NJ (Hudson River)
SAT 7/2: Hudson, NY (Hudson River)
SUN 7/3: Fort Edward, NY (locks)
MON 7/4: Whitehall, NY (end of the locks)
TUE 7/5: Burlington, VT (Lake Champlain)
WED 7/6: St Luc, QC (Lake Champlain to Richelieu River)
THU 7/7: Sorel, QC (Richelieu River to St. Lawrence River)
FRI 7/8: Montreal? (St. Lawrence River)
SAT 7/9: Montreal back to east shore of Lake Champlain?
SUN 7/10: Trailer Boat back to Branford

Maybe this is too rushed and won't allow enough time for exploring and site seeing? Montreal was my ideal destination but maybe that's too ambitious given the timeline? What do you guys think?
1987 Temptation 2500, 1984 18-GTX, 1982 11-Super Sport, 1990 9-Tender.

Marc-B

Re: NYC to Quebec via Hudson River

Postby Marc-B » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:02 am

Hi. Nice trip. I can help with a portion of your trip. I live close to the Richelieu river and have done most of the portions from the northern end of Lake Champlain (Rouses Point) to Montreal. My experience with the northern portion of the lake is very varied, and it can get somewhat nasty when you get heavy winds coming in from the south and southwest. I would say best time to travel the lake is early in the day.

I don"t have much time during the week, but I can give you most of the best spots to visit next weekend, stops overnight, marinas, hotels with docks, municipal docks with walking distance to food and supplies.

The portion from St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu to Chambly will take some time; there are multiple locks and basically no-wake speed in the canal, which can get busy.

When in the Beloeil - St-Hilaire area of the Richelieu River, if you give me a heads up we can meet up and show you some spots.

I have a cousin who did the trip from Montreal to NYC and return in a 23-foot cuddy cabin several years ago, with his wife and a 3-year-old. I can try and see if he kept any kind of data.

Let me know, and I can get you a quite a bit of data and put it in an email.

Regards,

Marc-B
1979 Newport 17

vtvfr

Postby vtvfr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:51 am

I live on northern Lake Champlain and I can confirm that it is not uncommon to have 2-3 foot chop with a very short period between waves. Typically during the summer the prevailing winds are from the south, so given the lake's north-south orientation it can get rough on a windy day. My boat is much smaller (Outrage 17II), but there is no way I could cruise comfortably at 30 mph on a choppy day. I have never run a 25 foot whaler, so I can't comment on what your ride might be like. I have run a Guardian 22 in all conditions on Lake Champlain and it can take the pounding, but it certainly wasn't comfortable.

Your trip sounds like a great idea. I have never ventured into Canada in my boat, but it is on my list of trips to venture up to Montreal via the Richelieu/ St. Lawrence someday. The boat traffic during your proposed timeframe may be pretty heavy due to both the Canada Day (July 1) and 4th of July holidays as many larger cruisers venture down from Quebec to Lake Champlain during the holiday.

flymo

Postby flymo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:30 am

Paul, that sounds like a great trip. You may already know you can get info on the NY State Canal System here: http://www.canals.ny.gov/index.shtml .

It's a fun site to poke around on and they have a printed cruising guide available: http://www.canals.ny.gov/boating/cruisingguide.html. I got a copy a few years ago just for fun; it's very detailed and I think will enhance your trip planning.

You'll need a permit for the NY canal system, and also be aware that some of the canal system has speed limits, so if you've calculated your times based on 30 MPH you may need to recompute them. The cruising guide gives transit time estimates. and the interactive map on the website shows the speed limits.

Tim

Hoosier

Postby Hoosier » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:50 am

If you've never been to Canada by private boat spend some time here:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html
1978 Outrage V20 with 2004 Suzuki DF-115. 1992 23 Walkaround with two 2010 Yamaha F-150s.

tom glynn

Postby tom glynn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 pm

I have been sailing on Lake Champlain for over 40 years, currently on my 37 ft. Pearson. Just bought a 1982 Outrage 18 to experience the lake under power. I keep the sailboat at the Lake Champlain Yacht club on Shelburne Bay not sure where the whaler will be. When you are in the area get in touch. I can probably set you up with a guest mooring for a night at our club And some ground transportation if you need it. Yes, Lake Champlain can get nasty but Windfinder is a good site for accurate wind and wave forcasts. and keeping your eye on the Adirondacks for T-storms is always a good idea.

Tom Glynn

Taglynn@myfairpoint.net

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Attempting to average 90-miles travel per day by boat over seven days is too aggressive for my cruising habits. I'd slow down and enjoy the scenery and the experience at a more relaxed pace. If you have to transit locks and canal, you may find the lockmaster's schedules will dictate your speed of passage. Also, mid-summer often causes very big increases in boat traffic through locks on recreational waterways, and you might find unanticipated delays at busy locks. Or locks out of service. Or operating hours cut back due to government reductions.

One aspect of your plan caught my eye: how will you get your boat trailer at the destination end of your trip so you can trailer home? I would like to hear the details of that plan. We are always looking for good ideas to make one-way trailer-boat trips and have our trailer waiting for us at the end port.

jimp

Postby jimp » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 pm

I want to go!

During the summer of 1967 we made the trip from Piermont, NY just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge (west side) to Montreal (Expo 67) and back. 16 day round trip. Boat was a 32' Chris Craft Sea Skiff. Family of six; Mom & Dad in the V-berth, rotated one kid on the dinette each night, 3 on air mattresses in the camper canvas covered cockpit. Great trip!

Customs was easy in 1967. I'd guess there have been some changes?

Locks - we used a single 100-ft long 3-strand nylon line for locking through. Kept it on the bow cleat, ran it up around a bollard at the top of the lock and tended it from the stern cleat. We found it easier than separate bow and stern lines.

Author Kenneth Roberts wrote many great books, including three of interest for your trip up the Hudson, through Lake Champlain, down the Richelieu, to the St Lawrence and Montreal and Quebec. Historical fiction covering the Revolutionary War and Benedict Arnold. "Arundel", "Rabble in Arms", and "Oliver Wiswell". Covers Fort Ticonderoga, the the building of the U.S. fleet in Skenesborough (Whitehall), the Battle of Valcour Island, Battle of Saratoga, the attack on Quebec, etc. You'll sail by all these locations and they deserve some exploring. Wish I could make the 1967 trip again.

JimP

JRP

Postby JRP » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:57 pm

A question for those of you familiar with this route: Is it possible to visit Fort Ticonderoga by boat?

PaulBuck

Postby PaulBuck » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback and info, everyone.

jimh, my plan regarding trailering home is to pay a friend (who is an experienced boater) $200 to $300 to drive to northern Vermont with my truck and trailer and pick me up. This allows me to travel further without having to back track by sites we've already seen.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:40 pm

jimp wrote:I want to go! ME TOO EJO

During the summer of 1967 we made the trip from Piermont, NY just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge (west side) to Montreal (Expo 67) and back. 16 day round trip. Boat was a 32' Chris Craft Sea Skiff. Family of six; Mom & Dad in the V-berth, rotated one kid on the dinette each night, 3 on air mattresses in the camper canvas covered cockpit. Great trip!
JimP

Jim that sounded like a great trip. My 1963 32' CC SS had a SB dinette that converted in a double bed but I also had a Port bench where the back seat lifted up and hooked to the ceiling with some straps giving it two single bunk style beds for a true 6 sleeper. No need for rotting and air mattresses. We had 4 people with my two sons so never had to convert the dinette. What a great moving summer home that was with the two 283 Chris-Craft (GM corvette) V-8's. Loved that boat.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:37 pm

John Mirassou's Only-In-America-reunion-tour was going to do this leg next. Think he has postponed last two years for lack of sponsorship. Perhaps he will update us here.

ADKWhaler

Postby ADKWhaler » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:43 am

Are you making the trip?

Suggest you stay at the Coeymans marina, North of Hudson and South of Albany. Excellent restaurant- Yanni's, at the Marina. Keep my Montauk there for a couple of weeks each Summer.

Remember the speed limit in the canal system-- I believe it is 5 MPH.

The Hudson needs a couple of days to clear out after a major rain event. Lots of large chunks of wood.....

Let me know if you do this. I am in the Albany area.
Keith
ADKWhaler
ADKWhaler.wordpress.com

PaulBuck

Postby PaulBuck » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 am

ADKWhaler wrote:Are you making the trip?

Suggest you stay at the Coeymans marina, North of Hudson and South of Albany. Excellent restaurant- Yanni's, at the Marina. Keep my Montauk there for a couple of weeks each Summer.

Remember the speed limit in the canal system-- I believe it is 5 MPH.

The Hudson needs a couple of days to clear out after a major rain event. Lots of large chunks of wood.....

Let me know if you do this. I am in the Albany area.

Keith, funny you should ask. We're on our final day of the trip now. You can follow our trip at:

https://northonthehudson.wordpress.com
Last edited by PaulBuck on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ADKWhaler

Postby ADKWhaler » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Paul, we could have passed each other on Day 4. I was testing out the new outboard on the Montauk, just North of Coeymans,where you took the picture of the blue steel beam on the barge. That steel is for the new Tappan Zee Bridge. Sorry I did not see your post earlier. Looks like you are doing OK on lodging and meals.

Reading your blog. Very interesting.

K.
Keith
ADKWhaler
ADKWhaler.wordpress.com