Charleston by Whaler

Accounts of trips taken in Boston Whaler boats; organization of rendezvous for Boston Whaler boats
Dauntless

Charleston by Whaler

Postby Dauntless » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 am

We are taking my daughter to Charleston for fall break in a few weeks and have decided we would like to pull our Dauntless 180 to be able to explore by water. Since we are already booked downtown can anyone with local knowledge give some suggestions on maybe a marina where we could keep the boat and use a ramp? Perhaps even somewhere with space that would let us dry stack for a week even? Any other ideas?

Dauntless

Re: Charleston by Whaler

Postby Dauntless » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:53 pm

I found a marina [in Charleston, South Carolina area] where we can get a slip and store our trailer for the week.

[Give suggestions] about cruising and things to do by small boat in Charleston.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:15 am

Several years ago we arrived at Charleston on a 40-foot trawler via the Atlantic Intracoastal Water Way (AIWW). We docked the boat at the St. John's Yacht Harbor for several days. We had a car there, too. We drove into the downtown area and enjoyed taking a walking tour of the city.

Please give the name of the marina where you were able to keep your boat trailer.

What boat ramp will you use to launch the boat?

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 am

We are going to Charleston, South Carolina, on or about October 5, 2020. We are renting a slip from Charleston Harbor Marina for the week. Charleston Harbor Marina said they have room for my trailer. There is supposed to be a ramp about a mile away. I guess my wife will get her first experience pulling a trailer. What could go wrong?

Several years ago I came through Charleston on my trawler We have been there a few times on land, but this is the first time with a small boat. We are hoping to be able to go to some restaurants and maybe see and tour some sites or plantations by water. Last time there we toured a plantation where George Washington visited. The planation was on a river and had a dock. I’m hoping we can find some places like that.

Dauntless

Postby Dauntless » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:03 pm

[I] had a great time [while visiting Charleston, South Carolina by boat]. The location of the [Charleston Harbor Marina] marina was great.

[I] visited Shem Creek for dinner. [I had a] choice of several good restaurants on the water.

[I] cruised up rivers and saw civil war plantations.

[I] had a good lunch at Isle of Palms.

Charleston is a good city to visit by boat.