NMEA 2000 and Lenco Autoglide

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
egolts

NMEA 2000 and Lenco Autoglide

Postby egolts » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:02 am

Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot the Lenco Autoglide system and its integration with NMEA 2000. I have Raymarine system installed on 2018 Boston Whaler Conquest 345 with Lenco Autoglide, SmartCraft, and Mercury Verado engines.

The system started to act up and I traced the cause to the Lenco. The system works well once I disconnect the Autoglide system.

Mercury connectivity to the SmartCraft display and GPS is lost if the Lenco is plugged in.

I have looked at the Auto glide and found corrosion with the broken pin in the CAN 1 cable connection.

I would like to start by replacing the cable, but would be interested in your opinion on whether it is necessary to replace the whole module.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jefecinco

Re: NMEA 2000 and Lenco Autoglide

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:51 am

In general my policy is to replace the portion of a system or circuit I believe is the most likely to result in the desired outcome. This is not a hard and fast rule. If the amount of labor required to replace a more expensive component is far less that may be my course of action.

In your case it may be most economical to replace the connector if you have the skills for that. In you situation I would probably replace the cable with connector as my electronics skills are limited.

Replacing the module without testing it may not solve you problem.
Butch

jimh

Re: NMEA 2000 and Lenco Autoglide

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am

The cause of the problem seems to already have been determined and isolated to the connection of the Lenco Autoglide device to the NMEA-2000 network.

The problem with the Lenco Autoglide device seems to already have been investigated and a possible cause determined: a bent pin and contact corrosion.

If the bent pin and contact corrosion are on a connector that is on a cable that is captivated to the Lenco Autoglide device, the remedy will be to straighten the bent pin very carefully so as not to break off the pin, and then to use an electrically safe solvent to clean the corrosion.

If the bent pin and contact corrosion are on a connector that is just an extension cable that connects the Lenco Autoglide device to the NMEA-2000 network backbone, the remedy will be to replace the extension cable; discard the old cable; or, save the old cable but cut off the damaged connector.

Also check the network T-connector into which the cable connector with a bent pin and contact corrosion might have been mated, which should have been the DEVICE port of the T-Connector. The contacts of the DEVICE port of the T-Connector may have been damaged. If there is damage, replace the network-T connector and discard the damaged network T-Connector