Ignition Switch

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Tedla

Ignition Switch

Postby Tedla » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:33 pm

I am installing a new key switch on a 1998 Johnson 200 hp. [I have attached] a red wire and a violet wire. I hear beeps.

[I have attached] a red-yellow wire. The engine starts cranking in the run position and stops in the start position.

jimh

Re: Ignition switch

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:37 pm

How can I help you?

Do you have a question?

From your narrative I infer you have made an error in the wiring of an ignition key switch for an outboard engine.

What sort of wiring diagram are you using?

Tedla

Re: Ignition Switch

Postby Tedla » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:40 pm

[The ignition switch that is the topic of this thread is] a push-to-choke six-contact switch. I have wired the switch as follows:
  • wire with RED insulation to terminal B
  • wire with VIOLET insulation to terminal A
  • Wire with VIOLET WITH WHITE STRIPE to terminal C
  • wire with YELLOW WITH BLACK insulation to the raised terminal M
  • wire with BLACK insulation to the other terminal M
  • wire with RED WITH YELLOW insulation to terminal S

The circuit behavior is as follows:
  • when I turn the key to the RUN position the motor starts cranking;
  • when I turn the key to the START position the motor stops cranking:
  • if I manually connect the RED and VIOLET conductors, [some unknown device makes a] beep when the key is in the RUN position--like [the unknown device] should.

jimh

Re: Ignition Switch

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:15 am

The normal wiring of an ignition key switch for a Johnson or Evinrude outboard engine is shown in detail in an article in the REFERENCE section. See

Ignition Switch Wiring
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... witch.html

A table there identifies the wires by their insulation colors and shows which ignition switch terminal they should connect to.

Consult the linked article for advice. Check that the switch you are using conforms with the contact scheme described in the article. Disconnect all conductors from the switch and use an Ohmmeter or continuity checker to verify the switch behavior. You perhaps have gotten the wrong switch.

Also, the conductor for the B terminal should be a RED with VIOLET stripe conductor, which is a fused 12-Volts from the engine harness, protected by a 10-Ampere fuse under the engine cowling. Perhaps the the wire you describe as having RED insulation is actually a wire with RED with VIOLET stripe insulation.

Also the conductor at the S terminal should be YELLOW with RED stripe, not RED with YELLOW stripe.

Another possible problem is that the wiring has been changed at the engine and is no longer in the original circuit configuration.

Another possibility: you have made an error in wiring to the switch; re-check all connections at the switch terminals.