Euro-style Terminal Strip

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
lukebarber

Euro-style Terminal Strip

Postby lukebarber » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am

Do you think that it's easier and cheaper to use a euro-terminal-strip with compression clamp connections similar to the Weidmuller European Terminal Strips to interconnect devices?

conch

Re: Euro-style Terminal Strip

Postby conch » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Yes, I think its makes the connection easier. I use them mounted in a dry enclosed location. Not convenient if you want to remove your device at the end of the day. They also can crush the 22 & 24 ga. wires so I support the wires close to the connector and check on them. I prefer ring terminals on connection screw strips for larger gauge wires.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Easier and cheaper than what?

I do not recommend Euro-style terminal strips for small-diameter small-wire-gauge conductors. Small stranded conductors like 22-AWD are made up of even smaller conductors, typically seven strands of AWG-30 wire. The compression on the small-gauge wires tends to break the individual wire strands. If you must use a screw-down compression clamp, you should treat the ends of the wire with a very thin and very soft copper tube of very small diameter and crimped onto the wire and insulation. Unfortunately, I have no idea where you can get that sort of soft thin-wall copper tube. I have seen them used and supplied with NEUTRIK SPEAK-ON connectors that use compression clamps on the bare wire.

My own boat uses my own design for interconnecting data signal lines between devices, using 0.100-inch-spaced header connectors. I describe these in detail in my article on NMEA-0183 interfaces. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A0183.html

My method offers many advantages. Foremost, it is a connectorized wiring, so you can easily disconnect a device without having to completely disconnect individual wires from the interconnect by unscrewing individual clamp connectors--when you remove individual wires from a terminal strip you lose the wiring arrangement. Second, it is very inexpensive. The cost for one header connector and five contacts is $0.81--less than a dollar. Third, there is minimal strain on the small wires; the crimps in the socket connectors hold on to both the wire and its insulation, improving the strength.

If you can't come up with a something better--which I think I have--then the small European terminal strip is functional, but watch for breakage of the wire strands, particularly if the clamp is over-tightened.

Note that most of these Euro-style terminal strips are designed for AWG-22 wire as the smallest gauge. Here is a link to a vendor that sells these in small quantities:

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... 39100-0904

If you order the Weidmeller product, try the COMPRESSION PLATE option to prevent wire damage. Note they are for AWG-22 conductors at a minimum.

For any compression clamp terminal strip, fasten the wire bundle in place with a nylon clamp so there is no movement of the wires, and keep all strain off the individual wires at the terminal stip.

fno

Postby fno » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Jim's advice is pretty spot-on. The Euro-style strips are awfully convenient and will last a long time if used properly. As Jim states, if there is a compression plate, then go ahead and use normal wires at the end. If there is no plate, either solder the wire ends so they are solid or crimp a ferrule on the end. They can be found easily on McMaster-Carr's website. This is the European standard for which these terminals were designed around. Last tip is to go back a few days after you install the strips and tighten the screws one more time.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:16 pm

FNO--yes, "ferrule" is a good term. A nice pin contact to crimp onto the small wire, and then insert the pin terminal into the Euro-style terminal strip. Something other than just the bare wire is needed for those small-gauge wires to work in the compression clamps.

Here is an example of a ferrule with a male pin that can crimp onto AWG-22 wire.

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey966066-3

These ferrules are only $0.10 each, and I think they'd be a good investment if you want to use a compression clamp type terminal block.

UPDATE: Darn—the URL above for ferrules has gone dead. Try this link:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/966066-3?qs=p4asWuUKBEYAjpzHX8%252BVrw%3D%3D

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:23 am

Below is a working URL link to a McMaster-Carr on-line catalogue page where the "Euro-style" terminal blocks can be purchased:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/termi ... ircuits~6/

There is no five-pole block so the six-pole or six-circuit is the closest option. The cost is $2.14.

Below is a working URL link to MOUSER ELECTRONICS where you can order ferules. I recommend using a ferule for inserting the conductor into a Euro-style clamp instead of just inserting a bare twisted wired or a soldered twisted wire. A ferule for AWG 22 or AWG 24 should be useful for most of the small conductors found in marine NMEA-0183 loose wire interface cable bundles.

https://www.mouser.com/c/connectors/ter ... t=Ferrules

fno

Postby fno » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:37 am

Thanks JimH for providing links to suppliers. One thing to note, US sourced ferrules will most likely be in AWG wire gauge sizes while Euro ferrules are measured by the wire area. Not crucial but the two same color ferrules side by side will reveal a diameter difference. The most important aspect is to choose a ferrule that the wires will fill the tube up before crimping. Very much like all compression fittings including ring terminals.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:30 pm

Darn—the URL above for ferrules has gone dead. Try this link:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE ... BVrw%3D%3D

fno

Postby fno » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 pm

Cheap and inexpensive crimpers are available on Amazon. Get the inexpensive ones,not the cheap ones. The ones I use almost every day at work are made in Germany by Knipex and they cost over $200.00 USD. They are excessive for occasional use but you will be able to use them for a lifetime if taken care of. I attached a screenshot from McMaster-Carrs website that has a nifty assortment of ferrules for a reasonable price.
screenshot.20.jpg
screenshot.20.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 2341 times