Page 1 of 1

Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:52 pm
by Tom C
I have mounted a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI on the console of my 1988 SUPER SPORT 15. If the sun is bright I cannot see the readout unless I shade the screen with something, usually my cap. This takes my hands off the wheel. Have others found a solution for this problem? I contacted Navico and they do not offer anything to attach to the unit that would help. Suggestions?

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:33 pm
by Jefecinco
If you can't find an adjustment to the screen angle that allows viewing you should be able to fabricate a hood from some thin pliable material and attach it to the sounder to reduce the glare. It could be mounted using heavy duty velcro or an elastic band. On youtube.com there are examples.

Butch

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:35 pm
by jimh
The color display on an Elite 4 is not going to have enough contrast-ratio or brightness to be seen in direct sunlight. You'll have to create some shade for it. Screen glare is usually not too bad, unless the anti-glare coating has been rubbed off.

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:17 am
by Hoosier
Just a wild idea but would a computer monitor privacy screen help? They change the visibility angle to just about straight on and would reduce glare coming in from the sides.

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:16 am
by jimh
Go to an art supply store. Buy some black matboard used for picture or poster mattes. With black duct tape, make a screen shade.

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:17 am
by Hoosier

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:34 am
by Tom C
Thanks to all for suggestions,etc. I have taken the brim off an old visor and attached it with velcro. It works great in the garage but the test will be when wind and sun are added. May have to wait awhile as we are having a wet spell here in SW VA.

Re: Lowrance Elite 4: Glare on Screen

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 am
by Peter
Interesting. I have an Elite 5 HDI on one of my boats and I also have a hard time seeing it in sunlight. Have not had this problem with another brand used in the same circumstances.