Electrical Wiring in Wet Rigging Tunnel
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:47 am
Hello all. I've been having some electrical problems and have finally pinpointed it to the ground wire being damaged in the rigging tunnel. I have not 100% confirmed this (by pulling the cable and inspecting it) but the resistance is coming from somewhere along the cable length that is in the tunnel.
The rigging on this boat is fairly new - 4 years and 340 hours. I know there is often standing water in the bilge / tunnel area and some most likely remains when the boat is stored (despite the draining and absorbing most of the water with a towel from the bilge and console low spot). I am now thinking of having both the power and ground wires replaced because this may be an indication of future problems.
Has anyone else experienced this concern? Any recommendations on keeping the problem from recurring?
(the cables are marine grade)
Thank you!
The rigging on this boat is fairly new - 4 years and 340 hours. I know there is often standing water in the bilge / tunnel area and some most likely remains when the boat is stored (despite the draining and absorbing most of the water with a towel from the bilge and console low spot). I am now thinking of having both the power and ground wires replaced because this may be an indication of future problems.
Has anyone else experienced this concern? Any recommendations on keeping the problem from recurring?
(the cables are marine grade)
Thank you!